Thread: MY SKS took a swim! HELP!!!!!!!

Question MY SKS took a swim! HELP!!!!!!!

alright, someone in our party was kinda scared and wanted a gun to take to there tent or the night, well I was kind enought to lend them my trusty SKS which I absolutly LOVE! Well the tide came in and my beloved SKS took a saltwater bath! I NEED to bring it to the best guy in the business of getting this thing fixed! Who is the man? Any phone numbers? I need to get this thing ASAP, I know shops will probly be closed til tuesday, is that to long? It went swimming last night, I really would appreciate it if someone could shoot me in the right direction to the best gunsmith around. I live in wasilla, but I will travel to Anch for the right guy for the job! It is not destroyed is it?

Well, how does it look?

I am by no means an expert, but this is what I would do.

The first thing I would do is completely strip it and rinse everything with fresh water to get the saltwater off it. If there is anything that looks like it needs to be addressed then scrub it with gun cleaner. Then give the gun some love. Oil it inside and out, run a few oiled patches through the bore, the piston bores, get inside the gas block.

Once again I am no expert, but that's what I'd do. I can't think of what could possibly be ruined on an sks that got some salt water on it. Even if you have to scour the metal you can touch up the blue yourself.

My 2 cents.

Powderhound: If you can take the wood parts off and then boil all the metal parts in fresh water, that will stop any rusting action. Then clean it and oil it. I would oil with Kroil because of its penitrating action. I have never dealt with salt water induced rust but am sure that speed in getting it clean is important.

The first time I did this for a guy, I went to the feed store and got a chicken feeder (metal tank) and used a camp stove. Good luck. J.

I would follow OldRgr's advice. SKS's along with AK's can take a severe beating and soaking and keep ticking. Plenty have been pulled out of the irigation canals in Iraq, with a quick cleaning they are good to go and function perfect. Thats one place where insugents hide stuff so hopefully we dont find them.

Your primary issue now is just to get the salt out. OldRgr suggested a good meathod, just remember to clean and oil immedietly after removing from the water, dont wait hours or days till that step and you should have no issues. You should be good to go since also it was not in the salt very long (only a few hours maybe not weeks or more). Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you need more help please feel free to PM me.

Will Holden

I remember reading in an outboard manual once where it said that if the motor should ever be immersed in salt water and if you can't immediatly get it to a shop, stick it in a barrel of fresh water and let it soak. Don't let it dry out until it can be torn apart. Probably a good idea with a gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    Powderhound: If you can take the wood parts off and then boil all the metal parts in fresh water, that will stop any rusting action. Then clean it and oil it. I would oil with Kroil because of its penitrating action. I have never dealt with salt water induced rust but am sure that speed in getting it clean is important.

The first time I did this for a guy, I went to the feed store and got a chicken feeder (metal tank) and used a camp stove. Good luck. J.
    Thanks everyone with the helpful tips, fortunately it is all steel and composite so no wood was damaged. The steel has surface rust on it, I sprayed it down with WD-40. I have little experience with tearing a gun like this down. I would love to learn but I would hate to fail to recognize something that needs addressing and then to reassemble it thinking it is alright. I will google search a procedure for teardown and maybe give it the good old college try! Does anyone have any reccomendations on a good gun shop that could help me out here? In the Valley or Anch.?

Thanks again guys

Get on you tube and search SKS breakdown rebuild. You can find tons of stuff on how to do it. I have SKSs and it is super easy once you get used to it.

All you really need(ed) to do was take it apart and clean it the next morning. Salt water should be washed off, I'd just use a garden hose and with ths stock off start washing. The clean everything with bore solavent and oil it with Kroil once a day for a couple of days. Nothing should be damaged beyond use. I've deliberately taken good guns under the salt water about 200 times. Step one on return, hose 'em off with fresh water and clean as usual.

If you wait the salt will get under the painted receiver and you'll need to strip it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm no gunsmith, but you gotta remember, the SKS was simply built to be rugged and easily maintained by relatively uneducated Russian troops. I've torn mine down before. It's not hard at all, just follow the directions... You need to know how to do this anyway, if you are gonna own a battle rifle.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp