Thread: Bow restoration

Default Bow restoration

I'm refinishing a early 90's Damon Howatt hunter. When I got the bow it had a temporary camo paint on it that I tried to remove per the manufacturers instructions. Unfortunatly it had been on awhile and didn't come off as it's suposed too. And it warped. I'm just sick about this poor bow and have made it my mission for this winter to get her back to shooting condition. Her she is as of right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Couple more just too let you know what I'm starting with. It will be going into the steamer and blocks for attempt 2 tonight, last time I gained about 3/4 of a inch so this should be the last time.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Looks like you are making progress. I've heard you want to go past straighta bit as there will be a little "return" under pressure. I've also heard of people using hot water rather than steam for the heating process, but sounds like your way is working so I'd keep it up.
    ... OK, went looking & found this link...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...c;f=2;t=000019

Keep us posted
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Using more of a form and clamp method I've used on trout nets, snow shoes and furniture but basically same idea just a little more precise. BTW also use the shower for most "bent wood" work.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    BTW also use the shower for most "bent wood" work.
    Sounds kinky.

Sorry, could not resist that one.

The Howatt is a shooter again! She still ain't pertty but she'll stack in the arrows without a problem! I'll psot more pics when the work you can actually see gets started....after it snows....alot!
    BHA Member

My fave bow in LH, which I damaged in a moment of utter stupidity for which I will never forgive myself, never could find another in LH @60 lbs to replace it, hope you get it squared away, I think the Hunter made by Martin is pretty much a duplicate of the design

Provided I start feeling better I may be unveiling the Howatt restoration at next weeks 3D shoot at the archers Den. I have just a touch of sanding on the grip yet and she's off to the spray booth. I'll post before and after finishing pics, just wanted to post a quick update for now.
    BHA Member

Sunaj

If your at all into long bows there is a beautiful custom LH longbow for sale at the archers den! Whale bone overlays, cocobolo riser, just gorgeous! If it were RH I'd be working out a deal with Paul now.
    BHA Member

Default Feel Better

Hey Rick,
    Hope you and the little one feel better. Missed you tonight at the 3D shoot.

Missed you guys too. Gunther isn't running a fever anymore and fell asleep without problems.....wish I was as lucky.
    BHA Member

Chek-Mate makes LH recurves that are a dream to shoot.

www.recurves.com

I just completed a snakeskin overlay project on my TD Hunter II and it turned out GREAT.

I should take pics..
    The original point-and-click interface was a Smith and Wesson

The Howatt is getting it's final clear coats! I think I've done well considering.
    BHA Member

Unfortunately I did loose most of the original lableing.
    BHA Member

good stuff...the damon howatt hunter was my first bow, one I regret selling!

for a twisted limb you do need anything but your hands...just twist it back straight, not overly hard to do. I personally dont like using heat of any kind, to easy to destroy it imho.