Thread: Silvers from beach in Whittier ??

Default Silvers from beach in Whittier ??

Has anyone been there lately ? Any success ?

Was there Saturday...beautiful day, not many fish around though. There was a school in the harbor, but not biting anything thrown at them. There were a good number of people trying to catch them, as they were visible (jumping and from the dock ramps), but only saw one caught the whole time we fished.

Checked Smitty's Cove, nothing there...completely lifeless. Salmon Run was also empty, though it is a much easier drive in there now. Some folks were staking out the road toward the tunnel, watching for schools to go by, but I never saw anyone actually cast, let alone catch anything.

Bottom line is that it is still very slow. The peak down there is usually mid-September, so we're not looking at a catastrophe yet, although there are usually more fish by now. It's just been a weird year for the silvers in Whittier...even the boats are having a hard time finding them.

Was there this weekend and tried my attempt and fishing from shore aswell. Didnt fish at smitties but watched for 5 mins... seemed dead, only 2 people- nothing on stringers but 1 guy got lucky and hooked one only to lose it. As for the harbor there was plenty of fish jumping but only saw 2 caught the entire weekend

Just an aside, really, but the one thing I love about shore fishing from Whittier is that in a couple of weeks, most people quit fishing, which leaves it pretty un-crowded, and I've caught silvers from shore down there the 3rd week in October. That's about my cold threshold, but you can still catch them even later then that from what I've heard.

Default Holy Crap!!!!!!!

well just got pushed off out of Whittier from that storm! ****, I was enjoying myself in Esther Passage and once I peaked my head out of the northern enterance.... WOW! That storm sure did blow in fast! Big difference from yesterday! The worst part about it is that I still have two shrimp pots floating out there! I just high tailed it back to whittier and I guess I will go pick up my gear when the storm lets up on Tues or Weds. There was some action with the silvers on the south end of Esther Island on saturday and you couldnt beat the sunny weather!
    So if any brave souls want to pick up my pots before then I will pay you in shrimp and a little $. It wouldnt break my heart to have go back and get my gear, but the tunnel charge, gas bill, launch fee and parking fee all add up to a bit of change! You know!

Yeah that storm was nasty, 5 foot seas in passage canal- 50mph winds, sideways rain

Any new reports since last weekend? I'm thinking of trying again this weekend, but I don't want to waste the money if I'm not coming home with meat....

Same here, but unless the 4 pm marine forecast today changes for the better, it sounds like it's not going to be worth my while to deal with 2-6 ft. seas and up to 30 knot winds this weekend.

Default Forecast

Right now it looks pretty good:

400 PM AKDT THU SEP 4 2008
    .TONIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT. AREAS OF FOG.
    .FRI...E WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
    .FRI NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
    .SAT...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SAT NIGHT...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SUN...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .MON...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
    .TUE...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

I hope that holds as I have a Sat to Tue trip planned.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    Right now it looks pretty good:

.TONIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT. AREAS OF FOG.
    .FRI...E WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
    .FRI NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
    .SAT...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SAT NIGHT...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SUN...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .MON...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
    .TUE...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    Yeah, but that's only Passage Canal.

PKZ125-051400-
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND
    .TONIGHT...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .FRI...SE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .FRI NIGHT...NE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SAT...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SAT NIGHT...E WIND 30 KT. SEAS 6 FT.
    .SUN...SE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .MON...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .TUE...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.

I can't decide if I want to deal with the prospect of dragging anchor Saturday night and the winds Sunday coming into the Whittier dock.

Default WX

Well the title of the thread is "Whittier Beach Reports" so I assumed he was talking about Passage Canal. Unless the road through Whittier goes further than I know...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    Well the title of the thread is "Whittier Beach Reports" so I assumed he was talking about Passage Canal. Unless the road through Whittier goes further than I know...
    I added PWS because I saw that Paul H is planning a trip through Tuesday. The only road I know of that goes from Whittier to PWS is the big blue one

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I added PWS because I saw that Paul H is planning a trip through Tuesday. The only road I know of that goes from Whittier to PWS is the big blue one
    One of my favorite roads in the state but I sure hate the tolls!

I think Whittier is experiencing the same problem that they're seeing in Seward; the fish just aren't hitting the bays yet. They just seem to be loitering out a few miles and haven't "balled up" yet. Unless there's someone holding back on some reports? I have also had a couple of buddies say they're not in yet but plan to give Seward a try on Saturday, I will post when I get back this weekend.. I've been out of country for a couple of weeks so I can't say from experience what the heck is going on down there...

They definitely weren't in like normal last week. I fish from shore every year, and there's almost none there so far. One small school in the harbor was it. Usually they're in the harbor, in Smitty's, at Salmon Run, along the rocks, at the end of the bay.......everywhere.

May try again Saturday and take another look. Will update if there's anything worth saying.

Heard from a couple people that there are NO fish to be found anywhere on shore now...some think that storm blew them out. Who knows. Canceled plans to head down tomorrow and give it a shot. Can't afford to waste the money without a return in meat.

We fished the head of the bay yesterday before heading back to port, completely dead. We did see 1 pink jump by the scuba diving ramp.

Did ok for rockfish and got a couple of lings around the N end of Knight, but mostly just holed up and stayed out of the blow Sat night, Sunday morning. Got 6 inches of rain Sat/Sun!