Thread: Powerline Pass

Default Powerline Pass

My wife and I hiked Powerline Pass through to Indian yesterday. The weather was perfect the whole time. We saw moose, tons of goats, and even a cayote, which was a first for me in Alaska. All in all it was a great day hike.

Does anyone know how far this trek is? We started at the Flat Top parking lot and came out on the Seward highway by the Turnagain House resturant.

Thanks!

Matt

I think it's somewhere around 10 miles, though I'm not positive. On a side note, you most likely saw sheep, not goats. There are lots of sheep that live in the area, but I've never seen a goat within 20 miles of there. Ewes (female sheep) are common along the trail, and they have short horns similar in size and shape to goats.

Default Powerline Pass

Matt,
    According to the 50 Hikes in Alaska's Chugach State Park book (which I totally recommend), Powerline Pass from the parking lot near Flattop clear to Indian is 11 miles one way. Sounds like a cool hike!

Thanks for the information guys...

Brian, I'm sure you are correct. What is funny about that is they looked like sheep to me. I kept looking at their heads and saying to myself those are sheep, but the lack of curled horns was throwing me off. You are right they all had small pointy goat looking horns.

See attached pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so my wife was upset because she says the picture I posted was too small. She's afraid that its too hard to see the sheep... So she cropped and zoomed...

Here it is again..

Yep, definitely sheep. Goats have much boxier bodies and have smooth black horns, whereas ewes have rough brown horns. Cool pictures - thanks for sharing!

Default Goats

Here's a good comparison shot for differentiating between sheep and goats. I saw these goats on the way up the trail that goes from Exit Glacier up to the Harding Ice Field. That is also an amazingly beautiful hike, although a bit further away from Anchortown. We also saw a bunch of black bears and a ton of hoary marmots that day, both very close. If you go, STAY OFF THE GLACIER! It's dangerous. Just had to throw that in there.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.