Thread: Unit 20 B Info

Default Unit 20 B Info

I was drawn for a moose tag this season and the hunt is limited to the southwest portion of 20 B just west of Fairbanks. I can shoot any cow that is not accompanied by a calf. My question to the forum is can I still shoot a 50"+ Bull? I called adf&g in Fairbanks and talked to a woman that did not seem to sure of herself. She used words like "I think so" and "well I don't see why not". I seemed odd that she did not know this basic information and that she couldn't find some one who would know. The regs are not very clear on this matter and if anyone knows I sure would appreciate it. Also I should mention that this is my second moose hunt any I am a novice to hunting in alaska. Last year I got skunked but this year seems fairly promising for I can shoot any cow. Does anyone have some advice for me on the best way to hunt this area and what should I be looking for?

Default nope

You can not shoot anything but a cow in 20B,

Default I had the same question...

Yesterday I went to the ADFG office and asked them if I could hunt the bull registration hunt for the first 15 days. Their answer was yes, and they issued me a tag. I fully explained that I hold the DM779 tag and that I would like to cary the bull tag for the "just in case" a big bull steps in my view. Again, the gentelman said yes that was fine.

By the way, I just read the regs and I don't think there is a 50" restriction on the bulls in 20B.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Question Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    You can not shoot anything but a cow in 20B,
    I showed the man at the counter my DM779 permit and he said it was fine, and then he filled out my registration permit for 20B.

Here is something to think about... If he is wrong...what are the chances I am left hanging out to dry?

AKArcher

Default wow

well then, thats different than the the cow permit for the fairbanks management area, I drew that last year, I could not shoot a bull within the boundrys for my permit. I figured that your permit would be the same way. So if I saw a bull while hunting with my permit I could NOT shoot it, cow only!! and a getting a harvest ticket for 20B ment nothing. If I wanted to shoot a bull Id have to be outside the draw area boundrys

Question FMA Archery hunt...

I too had the cow tag for the FMA. And yes, I was not allowed to shoot a bull in the FMA, but I could register for a bull tag outside of the FMA. I picked up a permit for 20B on the 10th or 11th of the month last year because I wanted to hunt outside of the FMA while it (20B) was still open.

I am going back down there this afternoon to re-verify the answer I was given just yesterday.

AKArcher

I am not sure I understand you guys correctly. You drew the 20 B cow tag. What would that have to do with restricting you from killing a bull in that area if you have the general harvest ticket. You actually have an advantage because you can basically kill either a bull or a cow. There will be others hunting bulls in that general harvest area you drew a cow in, you are not exempt from killing a bull. You just cant shoot both. I would call the State Troopers not the idiots at the F&G, I have seen them screw up too many times. Confirm your questions with one of the troopers they are the ones that will charge you, I know I am correct in my statement but its not good advice for me to tell youto trust me, cuz the next guy you trust could steer you wrong. Also there is not an antler restriction in that area its any BULL! good luck all it has to is have 4 legs and not be suckling and its yours, those are good odds!

Exclamation AlaskaCub...

Is there a difference between "antlerless" and "cow"? No where on the permit or in the description of the Draw Hunt does it say "cow". Antlerless would also mean calf as well...correct?

Where are the lawyers on this forum...PLEASE HELP!!

AKArcher

My hunting partner for the unit 20B hunt is a lawyer and a judge and he is also questioning if antlerless means calf or cow as well. I wonder if that will hold any merit if we get caught. LOL. I still can't find out any info on shooting a bull with a harvest ticket and permit in 20B. I called adf&g as well as the troopers and just got the voice mail. There is no telling when they will call me back. Hopefully before my hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Where are the lawyers on this forum...
    The lawyers on the forum won't give you legal advice unless you pay them. Their malpractice insurance doesn't cover free advice over the internet to people they've never met -- especially since once something is on the Internet, it's there forever, and you can imagine the headache if the regs changed and someone took the old advice off the forum and...

Those of us who are not lawyers, however, are free to give you all the advice we want. Because it's your neck on the line, not ours.

That said, nothing in the regs prohibits you from hunting under the terms of a drawing permit and a registration permit/harvest ticket/general season at the same time. Just remember that bag limits are cumulative across the entire state, so you can't take two moose that way. Once you've taken a moose anywhere in the state, you're done for the year.

You'll also want to lay the permits (draw and harvest) next to each other and look at the terms of each. Is one a bow hunt and the other 'any weapon?' I looked at the reg book for Unit 20 and got lost pretty fast on that stuff. If you can take an antlerless moose with a rifle, but the 'any bull' is restricted to muzzleloaders, then you're ok to take a cow with your smokepole, but not a bull with your 30-06. Yeesh. My head hurts.

Finally, according to the regs:
    5 AAC 92.990. Definitions
    (62) "antlerless" means the absence of the annually cast and regenerated bony growth (antler) originating from the pedicle portion of the skull in members of the deer family;

Barring any further language on your permit or the accompanying material, a calf is legal under an antlerless moose permit.

From reading the regulations, it says that you can shoot one bull or, or, or.....that means to me that you could take one or the other as long as you have a harvest tag.

Thumbs up Straight from the AST Bureau of Wildlife Enforcement.

I just spoke in person with the Lt. in Fairbanks at the Trooper Station...

We sat down, looked at both permits (DM779 and General Harvest Permit) and the 2006 Game Regs; he said. Yes, you can legally harvest any (1) moose while the 20B Bull season is open if the season does not require a registration or drawing to obtain. You must possess one of the DM776-779 and a General Harvest Permit. Again, you can only harvest one moose!

We also discussed "antlerless" and the general rule about harvesting a cow accompanied by a calf that disappeared from the 2006 Regulations.

The DM776-779 are antlerless, and this does allow the harvest of calves.

The general rule that is no longer a rule: This rule has been removed to allow higher harvest rates in areas that need the moose population reduced. (DM776-DM779 and the Tanana Flats specifically)

I hope this clears things up. If you would like the name of the individual I spoke with, feel free to PM me and I will provide you with his contact info. Quoting Alaska Cub; "I know I am correct in my statement but its not good advice for me to tell you to trust me, cuz the next guy you trust could steer you wrong."

Good Luck!

AKArcher

Default Anterless

Anterless also includes bulls with no antlers. For instance.RM 768 permits in Nenana that are good in the middle of winter when bulls have dropped their antlers. Or if RM764 lasted that long.

I didn't think you were interested in hunting calves, I guess I could have been more specific. I was just saying that any moose of either sex is available to you. I was speaking morally when I said that it couldn't be suckling. If its veal your after have at it. But dont think that moms gonna let that go over like apple pie!

Red face Please don't drag this thread into an "ethics" discussion.

AlaskaCub,

For those who are new to Alaska (under 5 years me included) and are still trying figure out the regulations, I was just clarifying a topic that was cloudy to me. I have every intention of harvesting a bull or a mature cow that is dry this year. I fully understand the permit I have drawn is a management hunt, and the ADFG just want fewer moose in the area. With that in mind harvesting a calf maybe someones option; morally or immorally.

Thanks to all those who have provided knowledge in figuring out our wonderful regulations!

AKArcher

I hear ya , I aint the ethics police.

Default clarification

I spoke with the LT. up in Fairbanks this morning and he was a great help. He answered all of my questions about the DM776 hunt. I suggest if anyone in the future is seeking info that is not spelled out in the regs to call the troopers and not adf&g. Just to clarify, you can harvest a cow, any bull, or a calf with the dm776 permit but only one animal. I guess there are too many moose in this area and biologists are afraid of an epidemic if the population is not thinned out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by colsen View Post
    Just to clarify, you can harvest a cow, any bull, or a calf with the dm776 permit but only one animal.
    Don't you need a "Harvest Permit" to shoot a bull? Does the DM776 read differently than the DM779?

I am glad he helped you out... He appeared to be a very sensible guy.

AKArcher

Yes you still need a harvest permit to shoot a bull in this area.