Thread: Resizing die problems

Default Resizing die problems

I haven't reloaded for over a year and last week broke everything out again to reload some .375 H&H mag and .300wsm. The problem that I am having is cases getting stuck in the resizing die. I can't remember this ever being an issue. These are once fired cases that I am reloading and I am using One Shot lub on them. After getting a few stuck and having to drill them out, it's come to the point that I am only able to advance the case about 3/4 of the way into the die before it wants to stick. I know the dies are adjusted properly and one set is brand new. I am using Redding dies and I tumble the brass prior to reloading. Can anyone help pleeeese?

Default Resizing problems

I have had the same problem with resizing rifle brass getting stuck. I found out that my spray lube, Hornady brand, was the culpret. Spray it well all around the brass then let it completely dry. If you try to rush it and start resizing before dry, it will stick every time. I would check/clean/inspect the dies well. If that does not work, I would try a different brand lube.

I have used One Shot exclusively for a couple of years. I put the clean brass in a tray and spray from all four directions, from slightly above. This gets a little lube inside the neck.

As mentioned, you have to then let it dry for a couple of minutes. After sizing I tumble the brass for an hour or so before priming.

With this process, I have no problems with cases sticking or with any contamination of primers or powder.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I haven't reloaded for over a year and last week broke everything out again to reload some .375 H&H mag and .300wsm. The problem that I am having is cases getting stuck in the resizing die. I can't remember this ever being an issue. These are once fired cases that I am reloading and I am using One Shot lub on them. After getting a few stuck and having to drill them out, it's come to the point that I am only able to advance the case about 3/4 of the way into the die before it wants to stick. I know the dies are adjusted properly and one set is brand new. I am using Redding dies and I tumble the brass prior to reloading. Can anyone help pleeeese?
    I too suspect your lube.

Try Imperial. Comes in a tin about the size of a snuff can. A thin film on your finger and thumb rubbed onto the case works better than anything I've tried in 50 years of reloading. It takes so little and lasts so long that one tin of it might last you a lifetime. Downright amazing stuff. Easy as pie to clean off cases too, cuzz there's harldly any residue.

Ya, I know that I don't let the lube dry enough, actually not at all. I didn't realize that I needed to do this. I'll definitly start doing that and will also try some different lube that has been suggested. Thanks

It's very important to clean your dies (with a solvent) when you first get them, and clean them again after they sit for a while. When your dies are new they can have small amounts of cutting debris inside from the manufacturing process. Once your die have been used, the resizing lube attracts all sorts of grit and crud that can cause problems even with the best lubricants. I've tested every high pressure lube I could find, and nothing will beat Imperial Sizing Die Wax. In fact, very few lubricants will even come close to matching it for resizing or neck turning.

- Innovative

Default resizing problems

I have heard nothing but good reports about the Imperial wax case lube. A buddy of mine has been using the same tin for many years and has had no problems. I have been using the Hornady One Shot with good results mainly out of lazyness and ease of use. Like has been mentioned, it will definately stick in the die if it is still wet. I have relearned this lesson several times, though I always stop short of sticking the case as I feel the resistence. It must leave a dry film on the case after evaporating.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I suspect you are not getting enough lube on the BASE of the case. That's what sticks cases in the die. (Especially, if you are using RCBS dies.)

IMO, it doesn't matter so much which lube you use, but I can see how the spray lubes might not give you good coverage down there.

Barring something very unusual, if you apply lube (non-spray) directly to the bases, like with your fingers, your case sticking will be a thing of the past.

I use Spray lubes myself for some cartridges, but not for belted cases or anything that is hard to size.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You proabbly had old lube in the sizer die and that becomes like half hardened varnish after a while. Clean the sizer with bore solvent then lube the body of the case heavily for the first few cases. Also I can guarantee the best sizing lube is Imperial sizeing wax applied with the finder tips. I clean my dies before use with acetone and lube only with Imperial. It takes extra on the body when starting with the first few cases because the die is so dry. There is no better lube.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?