Thread: need to seal my rifle, suggestions?

Default need to seal my rifle, suggestions?

A million years ago I bought a savage package rifle in 7mm. I have put a Leupold scope on it and intend to bring it to Aniak for my hunt next week.
    I have noticed the finish coming off and with the high humidity and rain I am concerned about it holding a consistent pattern. So I have painstakingly hand sanded and re stained the the stalk but I am concerned that it may not be sealed well enough, any suggestions on a simple/quick seal?

Nikster go synthetic and don't worry about it. It will most likely nag at you your whole hunt if you don't. They aren't that expensive, you still have the wood if you want it and it won't shift your zero. Just my 2 cents.

you can rub lin-speed , a mix of linseed oil and shelack, you rub it in let it sit a few hours and do it over several time over a week and it last a lifetime. I did one in the 1960's and it still looks great. I would just buy a plastic stock for the all weather hunt and change back and forth because woood is wood and its still going to move with weather. Good luck on the hunt.

Default Ditto

I have McMillan, synthetic stocks on all my rifles (all 3 of them) - in fact, my 3 center-fire rifles all look the same - stainless with black, synthetic, McMillan stocks. Wouldn't have anything else and, as said, the synthetic stocks aren't that expensive - especially if you have gone to the expense of a good sight.

So - ditto the previous posts.

I did the same thing to a BAR in 300 Win years ago because I did not like the shiny factor finish. After stripping it I stained it and put a few coats of tung oil on it. The wood soaked up the first coat pretty well so it took a few more coats until I got the finish I was looking for.
    Just let it dry well between coats and sand with very fine sandpaper and/or steel wool. I also had the rifle parkerized but it was in the early production of the BAR with the magnums and it was in and out of the factory for jams and failure to consistently feed and after a year of fussing with it I sold it off to a guy and wished him luck with it. Last Browning product I ever bought.
    The more coats you put on the shiner it will get. Did you bed the action and/or barrel too?
    I still have a few wood stock rifles but also have some with synthetic stocks too for hunts that will probably end up with me seeing some weather. Don't laugh but I also have been known to put a few coats of a good automotive paste wax on the blueing to help ward off rust.

Would recommend a synthetic stock for Alaskan hunting without reservations.

A good long lasting finish that is pretty water proof is a good Marine "Spar" finish. You can buy it in a spray can for easy application. What ever you use, make sure to coat the inletting of the stock. Spar is polyurethane. Linspeed, boiled linseed oil and tung oil really won't hold up as well as the synthetic finishes. If you want to replace the stock, but still like wood, get a laminated wood stock from any of the aftermarket stockmakers. Get a drop in. Try MidwayUSA. Or get a synthetic and don't worry about it.

Default Sealing wood stock

A good paste wax on a good finished wood stock does a good job of sealing wood.
    I remove recoil pad and wax barrel channel also. When refinishing wood stock I use
    a epoxy base to seal wood before I use a oil base finish. Then wax finshed wood to
    seal it.

Thank you all for the advice.
    I tried everything! First I tried to pick up a composite stock quickly. I was told that I had to order and wait at least 3 days-I don't have 3 days.
    So I re-stained it again. Then I used Birchwood/Casey sealer and filler (2 coats), then B/C gun stock wax (2 coats). I really like the look of the finished product. Yes I removed every bit of hardware and coated the entire rifle including butt plate.
    I put on my new scope and sighted it in today. First 2 shots with boresighted scope were absolutely next to each other about 3 inches low and 3 to the right. Next 2 were 3 high and 2 left. Next 3 were 2 inches high and straight up all at 30 yards. I'm gonna try that and see what happens...
    Thanks again for the input.