Thread: Wolverine

Default Wolverine

I am going up moose hunting in area 21E DM837 and am wondering if it is worth buying a wolverine tag I am a non-res so they are $175 I think but I would hate not to have one if I did see one? Does anyone know the poputations in this area or if there is even a chance to see one? I will be up there the whole moose season from the 5th to the 20th? If so can I buy one over the counter in Anchorage cause I don't have time to buy one now on-line and get it in time?

Thanks
    Aaron

Default I would say

If you want a wolverine you should buy the tag. Chances are slim everywhere but you just never know. I saw three last winter, granted it was in a totally different unit but....

Good luck
    Last edited by whitepalm; 08-30-2008 at 20:14. Reason: more

Default Saw only one before

I hunted Alaska pretty hard for eight years and saw a wolverine only one time during a caribou hunt in unit 25...saw him for about 5 seconds and that was it.

Default re: wolverine

Where will you be hunting? My father, buddy and I will be there at the same time. We have not hunted this unit before, and do not plan on buying a wolverine tag (although we will have moose, bear, and bou).

Send me a pm if you wish

Bert this is my first time up there I am going with some guys that have been there before all I know is we are flying into anvik and going by boat from there up the yukon?? Sorry I couldn't help? Where are you from I am from WI. Do you know where you are going cause i asked the guys I'm going with if I should buy a bou or bear tag and they said they have never seen a caribou and most of the bears are small?? Must be a different area than you are going? Let me know?

Default area

If you aren't gonna be somewhere where the ground is barren or treeless i'd bag the idea. Gonna need a some room to spot one.

Ya I really don't know anything about the area from some videos I seen it looks like all trees? Is it legal to hunt over a gut pile if I did harvest a moose?

I'd buy it because you would then be able to shoot a wolf as well. You can kill an animal of equal or lesser value (wolverine $175, wolf $30) with a tag. Granted if you shoot a wolf then you've used an expensive tag for something you could have bought for $30. Probably a better chance at spotting a wolf vs a wolverine, but you never know.

Good luck on your hunt!

Default bad idea

From a probability standpoint, your $175 tag will "earn" you about a negative $174.95. I've lived and hunted fairly regularly here for 30 yrs and could have taken one shot at a wolverine. But, if you like to gamble, go for it; the State could use the money. Getting a shot at a wolf is much more likely, and you ain't gonna see one of them in range, either. Good luck w/ the other critters. j

Default dont waste your money

if you really want a wolverine but dont live and trap up here in the winter you should save your money.....or rather you should spend twice as much on a prime winter hide rather than a fall hide... this time of year they look like a porcupine/weasel/possum....talk to to some reputable taxidermists or trappers up here while you can and get a line on a good hide come winter...either tan it or get it mounted...but you want a winter hide period......but buy a wolf tag or twelve and shoot all you see....shoot a wolf and a save a moose/sheep/caribou/dog/small child
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default tags

Bag the wolverine tag but get a wolf tag cheap disposable tag & buy a nice winter wolverine.

Default Never Seen One

I've lived in AK since Sept. 2001. Fishing and hunting as much as we possible can. Wife has lived here for 26 years in Delta junction. She has seen 4 in her lifetime. She has taken several coyote and a couple of wolf. I have never seen one alive "Wolverine". I do have a very nice wolverine winter hat though. "Christmas present" My advise buy a different tag.
    Thanks for the outof state $$$.
    Dirty

I am in Anchorage, and my partners are coming up from WA. We are drifting the Anvik, so sounds like we will be a little northwest of you. The bear "tag" really isn't because I am a resident, and don't need a permit to harvest one in that unit. The bou tag again, is free for me, so why not have one? I do not, however, plan having my partners purchase anything more then their moose tags.

Hope you have a safe and successful trip.

I wouldn't buy a wolverine tag. I've been up here for 33 years now and have never seen one in summer. I've seen several in winter, but it's pretty rare.

I saw two together when up there sheep hunting last year. Got a photo of one before they took off.

In almost 25 years of hunting in Alaska I have seen only 2 wolverines (one in the Wrangles and one on the north side of the Brooks) - both while sheep hunting and I have been on prob 40 sheep hunts.....so far.

Nice wolverine picture, to see one that is not ruining is even more rare than shooting one!

Every single wolverine but one that I have seen has been above 3000'. The only one that wasn't was by Kluane Lake in the Yukon. They love the high country.

Thanks guys for the advice I'll probably save my money but I do already have a wolf tag so I think I am set if I do see one I can always use my $400 moose tag Thanks again I'll report back when I return!!

Aaron