Thread: Firewood?

Default Firewood?

My wife and I are interested in buying a plot of raw land in a fairly remote area. I was just wondering if you are allowed to cut firewood from state land for subsistence use or will we be buying coal? To define remote I think a 4 wheeler / snow machine will be the only way in.

You can get a state permit to cut wood. Depending where you are at the land surrounding you could be a mix of state, federal, Native or other private land. Each have seperate rules.

My friends that live in the remote areas generally do not worry about the permits and harvest their wood entirely in the winter with snowmachines. They burn primarily standing dead spruce and harvest birch that is obviously not going to survive to maturity. They cut birch that is bent over by snow load and thin trees that are growing too close together. This is all good forestery practice and makes a better forest around them. It is a good winter activity to keep their firewood trails open and do it as their daily exercise.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.