Thread: Moose skin

Default Moose skin

Just wondering after seeing the wanted caribou hides thread. Is there a market for a moose skin? Is it worth skinning for a lifesize mount or saving just the cape? If I do shooot a moose what do you think bring it out or let it lay.

Jeff, there are usually some taxidermists wanting moose capes. But depends on how far out you are from town, whether you have salt, and how much extra weight you can haul. Moose cape is heavy and takes some knowledge of skinning to get it off right. Takes quite a bit of extra time in the field too getting it off etc. If you do do it, make sure you go a bit extra behind the shoulders.

One of the best benefits of a whole hide is to have it tanned for leather; you will get enough leather to make pants, vest, hats etc. Really tough stuff.

A large bull hide, properly skinned for a lifesize mount, will bring a good price. Advertise it on taxidermy.net, or get in touch with Cabela's. Pretty difficult to deal with such a large hide tho. Time is important, to get it fleshed and salted before it spoils.
    Alot easier to just deal with the cape. Even a large bull will have a cape that is manageable, tho heavy.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Ya Heavy

Got 1,000$ for mine but was close to the road 1/2mile still your looking at 250 to 300# of hide took 2 of us to get it out peter and the wolf style....