Thread: Flies

Default Flies

Coming up third week of September with an old army buddy for a week of fly fishing on Anchor for stealhead and and Kenai and Russia for rb's and possible silvers
    Any must have patterns other than eggs, leeches, sculpins? Hot colors? Starting to tie flies this weekend
    Thanks in advance

Think pink.

Call the guys at Troutfitters in Cooper Landing. They are good guides too if you want some rainbows on the Kenai.

http://www.aktroutfitters.com/

I bought some great looking flies at the website below for an upcoming float trip in NW Alaska. You could click on the "silvers" section and get some good ideas.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html

A great book if you don't have it is "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..." by Troy Leatherman. It has tons of info on the fish, and how to fish for them, including fly suggestions for different times of the season. Great book.

Also, "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. This is THE book to show you where/when to go fishing in Alaska. It has sections on the Anchor, Ninilchik, etc... It has over 100 maps and directions to specific areas. The book is broke up in regions and one whole section (40-60 pages or so) is on the Kenai Peninsula alone.

Both these books are available in the forum store. Also Amazon and Barnes and Noble website. They are the best two books I have on fly fishing in Alaska. By far.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default For Anchor steelhead...

try Stan at the Anchor Angler.

Good general information on his website (http://www.xyz.net/~angler/), but particulars best from someone at the shop, if you can reach someone.

The Anchor has a series of well-known holes (map with details used to be available) which are fished hard esp on weekends, but good fish can be caught above and below the holes, and elsewhere.

My (5 yrs) experience with steelhead on that river has included these lessons:

-You must fish deep. It's the only time I fish a sink tip, but a floating line with plenty leader plus split shot (several) works too.
    -Don't bother getting up early. The fish seem to warm up then bite to me. The only reason to get out early is to get a spot on the holes.
    -Hike to get away from crowd
    -Be willing to try something different
    -Watch more experienced anglers

Good luck!

I don't know if the Anchor Angler is open again. It has been closed for over a year now, maybe even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribka View Post
    Coming up third week of September with an old army buddy for a week of fly fishing on Anchor for stealhead and and Kenai and Russia for rb's and possible silvers
    Any must have patterns other than eggs, leeches, sculpins? Hot colors? Starting to tie flies this weekend
    Thanks in advance

flesh flies are a must. Just a hint of orange in them i really like. The chosen river special should be hot that time of year. Im camping at the russian from the 16 through the 28th. should be around site 57 in rainbow. Look for the alaska aces flag, white truck, pop up camper. stop by and say hello
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Chuck

I also have buddy coming up that might have a day to fish the russian/kenai confluence. We'll be targeting both rainbows and silvers. We will be coming thru when you are at the campground, I will try to make a point and stop by and say "Hi", He also has plans to go down to homer, so I don't know how long he will be staying near the kenai, but I might be around a few more days to pick up an advice from and expert like yourself! I live in chugiak, and will make a few day trips down that way for sure!