Thread: car rental

Default car rental

Coming up to AK for some fly fishing at end of Sept. Plan on spending a week and need a rental car. Can anyone recommend a cheap car rental in Anchorage?
    Will be fishing Anchor for steelies, and Russian and Kenai for rb's
    Anyone in the area feel free to join us and say hi

Thanks-Tom

Default alaska car and van rental

tom is the owner old time alaskan knows alaska as a bush pilot great rates cal;l him tell him nick sent you has a web site

Assuming you are flying into Anchorage, just rent a car from any major car rental company at the airport. Hertz, Budget, Avis, you name it. After leaving baggage claim, you walk over to the car rental desks and pick up you keys. Just book online ahead of time to be sure you get the kind of car you want. Small SUV, full size SUV, vans, minivans, what ever. No harder to do this in Anchorage than any other city you would visit.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Rental cars are tricky in Alaska.

Two weeks ago I went to Alaska Airlines.com to get my ticket for next June and reserve a rental car.

The cost for an 8 day rental was $330, if you look today it's already $500. By next year it will be $800. The moral of this story is to reserve you rental car as early as you can, or pay the price.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default car rental

If you are an old man like me use AARP web site it is about the cheepest I have found, will show all the car rental shops, an there cost to compair
    SID

Default Off Site Rental

If you are arriving during weekday, you can rent car off site and avoid the airport tax. The offsite guys will pick you up at airport. This did not work for me because of late Sat afternoon arrival and a Sat departure. My neighbor's schedule did work however and his car rental was about half of mine and he had a bigger vehicle!

Sorry I don't have specifics but there are several offsite rental companies.

Default I learned that Toyota

New car dealers rent new cars all over the country.
    Biggest problem are the operating hours.

Good luck

Default Car rental

Enterprise has 4 door half ton pickups with 4 wheel drive at an end of the season deal of $50 plus tax and ect. I had one a couple weeks ago and have another next week. They have other cars at a discount, but not as deep. You have to ask. The pickup is on there home page. Hope that helps. Take Care

I'm flying into Anchorage and meeting a friend at the end of September.
    Just went through the same process and managed to book a minivan for 8 days through expedia.ca for $400 tax in and unlimited mileage.
    Picking up the keys at the Alamo desk at the airport.

Priceline.com is also good. I snagged a room in Anchorage for 59 bucks for our first night.

In my experience booking direct with the hotel, car rental agency, whatever, you're paying a lot more than you should be.

Cheers

Sent you a pm with a little info

Be thankful you're not going to WA state to rent a car. Went two summers ago, rented a car for 8 days, and it cost me almost $1200. I was quoted $700-something originally, dropped the car off, and they said that wasn't counting the taxes! Taxes on rentals there are outrageous....

Taxes here are also outrageous. I think you can save a small "airport tax" by picking your auto up "off site". For example, Enterprise has a site on International and Old Seward that is a little bit less expensive than their site at the airport.

Default U-Haul $19.95 a day

Sleep in van or box bed real easy?

Default Rental car help

There are a ton of taxes on rental cars in anchorage. There is a city tax of 8%, a state tax of 10%. Those are the only ones you would have to pay if you rent off the airport. If you rent at the airport you have to pay a concession fee of 11.11% and a facility charge of $4.87 per day. The airport makes a killing on the car rental industry. Thrifty, Dollar, Budget and Avis all have off airport rental agencies. Just grab a cab and go to one of those. Even if an off airport company picks you up at the airport you will still have to pay the airport taxes. I wouldn't recommend any of the other off-brand companies, you don't know what you are gonna get with them. PM me if you have any other questions on rental cars. hope this helps
    KLICKMAN