Thread: Copyright vs.Watermarking

Default Copyright vs.Watermarking

Im totally unfamilier with the usage or to even g about any of this.So my question is regarding how would an individual go about getting a copyright or watermark on there photos,and what are the pros and cons of each.Thanks for any help.Daniel

Any and every picture you take is automatically copyrighted by you as soon as you press the shutter button. There is nothing you have to do unless you want to register your copyrighted work. Then you have to send a copy (could be digital copy on a CD) to some federal office. I don't know where it is because I've never done it. There are some legal protections to doing this, and you have to do it if you are planning to sue someone for copyright violation, but you don't have to do it otherwise.

Adding a copyright statement to your EXIF or IPTC data should be done to every digital image file, especially if you post it on the web or give a copy to someone. This should list your name and contact information and the year of copyright. Lots of image editing software packages do this, or you can use a free utility like Exifer.

All any of this does is give fair warning to users and copiers that they are violating the law, as well as you rights, if the use or copy the file without your permission. It still doesn't stop them from doing it.

Adding a watermark to an image can frustrate would be copiers because the watermark will show up on any copies. The watermark should make a statement about the copyright holder or some other information making it plain that the image is copyrighted. Doing this will require you to use an image editor that has that capability. Photoshop does it, and several others as well.

There is another type of "invisible watermark" to keep people from copying or printing the file, at least at professional labs, but I don't have any experience with that.

Thanks for everyting Jim.