Thread: Jims and Maud lakes

Default Jims and Maud lakes

How is the hunting on these lakes? Went out to scout today and saw some mallards and golden eyes. Looks like good water
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Must be one of those hush hush spots that no one wants to talk about.....well, see you there

Default Hush Hush Spot

Not at all..great lakes and sloughs back there....you will fair well enought if you know where you are going and where to hunt. Anywhere from Maudlake all the way to north of leaf lake provide some great action if you can find the birds..so much water back there and not many birds to date. Are you familiar with the jims creek area, have you been back there?

Good luck and hope you get to hold some cold wet feathers on monday.

H

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Must be one of those hush hush spots that no one wants to talk about.....well, see you there
    That area is far from being hush hush. You'll probably see why on opening...

I won't be out there for the opener, but next sat we're gonna try it. I don't mind hunting around other people. It gets the birds moving. Does it quiet down out there as the season progresses?

Default It is Jim Creek not Jim's or Jims Creek. Mud Lake not Maud Lake

It is so hush hush that a search on here would have given you all the info you would have ever needed. Tired of repeating ourselves.

The area needs more people in certain spots to keep the birds moving. Early in the season the birds move around a lot, but between the local birds getting wised up and the northern birds coming down later in the fall it can be quite boring to be out there after the sun is up.

It is not the hunting around other folks it is the one point of access and the folks that don't plan for that. Many times I have been waiting and waiting for the first timer to drive his boat down the cliff, back into the water, load it with his and his buddies gear, and then pull up and park. Most of that work should have been done while sitting up top.

One time I was preping the boat up top and a fella from Texas zipped around me and headed down the cliff to the launch without looking at what he was driving into. Luckily the F250 driving up the cliff was able to back down straight and let the Texan off easy. A few choice words as they passed. The Texan took 40 minutes to launch his 10 foot skiff. He had lots of goose decoys and was talking up the goose hunting. Too bad he was two weeks too early and 20 miles too far to the east for geese. He had a nice boat ride though I guess.

Sorry I annoyed you so much Ray. Just looking for some info and I'll be sure to pronounce Jim lake and Mud lake right next time

I am not annoyed really, just confused.

I have found that "internet scouting" is easier than asking questions and hoping that someone will answer them. However, people still just ask questions without searching to see what information has already been provided.

And it is not just here it is across the 'net. People just don't want to look things up for themselves and want to be told what to do. I think this concept starts in our schools where the students are not taught how to learn but just repeat what the teacher tells them to and the government calls that an education. Down from my soap box now.

Friend called from Maud lake and there is allot of people there now. He says more birds out there then last year.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Last year was an extreme high water summer. In early July I could take my outboard way to the back of Leaf Lake to where the mud motors and air boats only go. The high water during the nesting season greatly reduces the habitat needed for nesting, which results in fewer birds being around in early fall. This year there is a normal amount of water and thus more birds around due to the increase in nesting habitat.

Should be a good day tomorrow.