Thread: Bullet sticking in seater

Default Bullet sticking in seater

While seating bullets, the bullet is getting stuck in the seater and pulling back out of the case on the up stroke of the press handle.

Anyone ever have this problem? How to deal with it? I tried a little case lube to no avail. Even tried baby powder.

I pulled it apart and fully cleaned it, and even tried polishing with the dremel and jeweler's rouge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    While seating bullets, the bullet is getting stuck in the seater and pulling back out of the case on the up stroke of the press handle.

Anyone ever have this problem? How to deal with it? I tried a little case lube to no avail. Even tried baby powder.

I pulled it apart and fully cleaned it, and even tried polishing with the dremel and jeweler's rouge.

Thanks
    Use lapping compound. I use a bullet in a drill chuck and valve lapping compound. Put the stem in a padded vice jaw and have at it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

What kind of bullet are you seating?? Rifle, Pistol, Lead, Jacketed...caliber?? I ask this because in the past I've loaded some larger cast bullets with a wide nose and would experience what you are describing to some degree. In that case, I had to get a seater plug made for that specific bullet to prevent it from cutting into the bullet and essentially pulling it out slightly...or deforming it.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Yes,HNTR< I've had this problem before. The bullet ogive and seater fit together almost perfectly and therefore the trouble was the same as yours. Being that the problem was with a 30 caliber I removed the seater for that die and because I also had a .284 caliber die, I put that "seater" in my 30 caliber die...no, come to think of it, I used the "guts" out of my brothers 270 Win. seating die and just put them in my 30 cal. seating die. A very simple solution.

Barnes TSX .375

I'll try another caliber in it and if that doesn't work, I'll use the lapping compound.

thanks everyone.

HNTR
    I've had this happen a couple of times in this climet.
    Cool damp garage.
    Just a couple weeks ago I posted this problem.
    It was sugested that I take it apart and buff it.
    Idid this, cleaned it up with some 600 grit paper, than polished with polishing compond.
    Works like a charm.
    Re did all my dies and no troubles.
    Big Al is right also.
    Bill

I had it happen with Hornady dies.

New dimension 338 win mag and 250 barnes X bullets. So now I dont use Hornady dies.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I'm going to be very unconventional here. What folks are telling you about polishing the seater plug is true but two other things may contribute to this.

If you don't chamfer the case mouth enough/correctly it will require more force to start the bullet and this will jam the bullet in the seater plug and then hold it and pull it out when you raise the handle. Also the expander plug could be too large in diameter and when sizing the case it makes it too large to hold the bullet correctly. Measure the expander plug and see it should be .002" smaller than bullet diameter and chamfer the case mouth to easy the bullet entry.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I had this happen with .308 dies from RCBS when seating 173 FMJ bullets from the old DCM. I talked to RCBS about it and they either sent me a new seater or had me send mine in and they "fixed" it; can't remember which, but they had great customer service and the problem was resolved.

I also had this happen but it was a different problem that caused it.

I had just bought the dies and someone had put a .270 seater die in the 300RUM box. The top of the bullet was lodged in the seater cup because it was smaller in diameter than the one I was supposed to be using.

Check the side of the die and make sure is says .375.