We flew down to Kodiak last week to goat and deer hunt. We had an excellent trip that resulted in me not being able to goat hunt, but we did go deer hunting and my son scored on a nice buck.
Some things I discovered in Kodiak..
We flew out with SeaHawk Air. They were excellent. They have a free shuttle from the airport to your hotel. They will come and get you before your flight. Amazing service. They treat you like a client from the moment you hit the ground in Kodiak until the minute you leave.
- Don't ship food, the store prices in Kodiak are cheap enough that it's not worth shipping from Anchorage. They have an AC, Safeway and Walmart.
- Don't ship Mnt. House food or small propane bottles. Mack's Sporting Goods has them both for as good of a price as Sportsman's in Anchorage.
- The Shelikof and Russian Heritage hotels are the cheapest in town. The Shelikof has clean rooms and deals with hunters all the time. Rooms were clean and comfortable, but nothing special. They have a free shuttle to the airport. Both are right next to McDonalds, walking distance to Subway and a couple real restraunts. Both are right next to Cy's and Mack's Sporting goods stores.
- The only laundramat is next to Spenard Builders and is quite a hike from anywhere.
- Budget and Rent-a-Heap have good car rental rates.
- Ship your meat home with ERA aviation. It has the cheapest rate and they partner with Alaska Airlines in Kodiak..which means your meat is in a freezer and stays that way when it gets to Anchorage. Northern Air Cargo does not have an opperational freezer in Kodiak.
- You CANNOT ship normal ice on Alaska Airlines or ERA. Only the meat may go. No big deal because they put it in a freezer for you if you lable it FREEZE.
There were only a couple lakes available to hunt that weren't frozen in my goat area. Andrews Air and Seahawk Air had hunters on both of them so I decided to just go on a deer hunt. Roland picked a great lake for us that he charged significantly less for me to fly into vs. my goat hunt. It was a good decision and we had a blast. I'll never regret putting my son before me on this hunt. I hate to eat a tag like this, but my son's first deer is more than worth it.
Here is a pic of Roland's newly rebuilt Beaver and their office behind it. It is a beautiful plane inside and out.