Thread: Idependent Suspension or Solid Axle?

Default Idependent Suspension or Solid Axle?

Ok what is going to get some of the best performance here, the I.R.S. or the solid axle and if there are upgrades for each what is a good combination. I have a 450 Grizzly with the independent suspension and wonder if there are after market ad-ons that will allow me to carry the extra weight as I think the solid axle older brother has some advantages built in for carrying capacity. What about the comfort factor... Thanks for your input.

IRS will definitely be better for clearance and ride. SRA will, like you mentioned, have better weight rating. If you are thinking about putting a lift on, go with IRS. You can put a lift on an SRA, but the axle clearance won't be effected. You will have to go with taller tires to gain any more clearance with the SRA.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Ok, I'll take a look at the lift kit for the 450 Grizzly. I am also very impressed with the ride with independent suspension as it soaks up the bumps on the trail. While packing about 200+ pounds of caribou and gear I did notice that my tow hitch would hit the bigger bumps but also at the same time gave the ride some what of a postive foot pattern on the trail at almost all times.

I used to do the SRA thing but never again. Unless I should happen to pull a trailer more often than not, I'll stick with IRS. I've ridden my 700 Grizz for a year now..Hopped on a SRA machine for about 100 yards the other day and WOW, the difference is amazing...
    EricL

Default Definetly irs

man no question about it the irs is the only way to go.y honda has a sra and after a hard hay of ridding your kidneys are sore as hell.

Default Depends upon your use

For utility work like plowing food plots we use single axils.

You can increase your weight limit by adding the Highlifter heavy duty springs. I added them to my Foreman and gained an extra 100lbs carrying capacity each, front and back. They will stiffen the ride some though.

Ditto on the Highlifter springs. I have them on my 02 660 Griz. I also have the Extreme Products "lift kit" but it doesn't really lift the quad much but it changes the the angle of the shocks and makes them almost vertical. It adds a lot to the load carrying capacity. I also removed the rear anti-sway bar (anti-articulation bar actually), I did that as soon as I bought the quad. These mods greatly improved the suspension and weight hauling capability.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again