Thread: How about a 275 grain bullet at 3100 fps?

Default How about a 275 grain bullet at 3100 fps?

Not your everyday frontloader.

Should have enough oomph for Alaska game.

http://www.badbullmuzzleloaders.com/index.php?page=ute
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Kinda self-defeating with no sights isn't it, when you're not allowed to use scopes in Alaska's primitive weapon seasons. Kinda fun during regular season, but kinda pointless for me when I'm a close-stalker. Others might be delighted. Thanks for the link.

I agree with BrownBear, having to use open sights is a much more limiting factor to the range of a muzzleloader versus bullet speed. I had kinda thought the day of trying to make muzzleloaders like centerfire rifles (extending their range, 150 grain powder charges, etc) had died down the past couple years. Still, it is impressive performance. I didn't read very closely but was wondering what powder charges they were using for 3100 fps.... As for me, I'll stick with big and slow

up to 140 grains of 4350.

Do you only use your muzzle loader during the special season or only in this state?

If you use a centerfire out of the ML season can your centerfire do that power level?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    up to 140 grains of 4350.

Do you only use your muzzle loader during the special season or only in this state?

If you use a centerfire out of the ML season can your centerfire do that power level?
    I use my open-sighted traditional muzzleloader during regular season, too. I just like stalking close. Until my hands gave out I was a traditional archer. When I had to slow down on the handguns as my eyes aged, I moved on to traditional muzzleloaders. I use the same gear out of state too. For me hunting means getting inside 50 yards for a shot. Just my twitch.

Default Dumb

While this rifle seems to give impressive performance, it isn't really much of a muzzle loader. It's really just a centerfire bolt action that uses a modern ignition system. It has no traditional qualities that would make it seem a muzzle loader. Probably lighter than a regular front stuffer. And you better not miss, because it doesn't have a ramrod to reload ! Also getting lead fouling out of the muzzle break would take lots of extra time. Plus it can't be unloaded unless it's fired, so you have to shoot it before you get in your vehicle to travel from one hunting area to another, or go home; TO BE LEGAL !
    With no sights it's going to require a scope for sighting, which makes it a modern firearm in a majority of states. With open sights it's range is deminished to that of most bolt-action muzzle loaders. While it produces about the same performance as my 375 it sure can't offer a quick follow up if needed. So in regular season I'll stick with my cartridge rifle even though it may be shooting black powder, TOO.
    SEEMS to me like a way for someone to try and use a modern rifle in muzzleloader season, kinda does away with the sportsmanship and woodsmanship, to acheive "THE KILL".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Talking what's the point?

just another stupid "gadget" the gun industry invents to convince hunters they NEED another doo-dad.
    i have a lyman GPR i plan on using to take a blackie this fall, when the hunt is about the hunt... a pretty rifle that is traditional and effective, with a nostalgic sense of romance AND requiring some actual hunting ability to be successful. or i may use the renegade .54. not as purty but still primitive.
    when the hunt is about the meat .... i will use my .338! ("just" a win mag <grin>)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    just another stupid "gadget" the gun industry invents to convince hunters they NEED another doo-dad.
    i have a lyman GPR i plan on using to take a blackie this fall, when the hunt is about the hunt... a pretty rifle that is traditional and effective, with a nostalgic sense of romance AND requiring some actual hunting ability to be successful. or i may use the renegade .54. not as purty but still primitive.
    when the hunt is about the meat .... i will use my .338! ("just" a win mag <grin>)
    Yup. For Alaska hunting it looks like just one more solution that can't find a problem. Existing guns are plenty powerful at any range you'd hunt without a scope. In fact you'll have to be close enough to smoke the hide at the shot with no sights at all!!!!

We're all great shots, so who needs a ramrod!! Wonder how you even load it for the first shot????