Thread: turning a magnum rim

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default turning a magnum rim

Does anybody have any experience turning a magnum cartridge rim down to .472".. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this...Is there a tool made maybe like a neck turning set up?

We normally just use a lathe. What are you going to do with the belt? No I don't see where you are going with this?

You can seat a bullet in it then chuck it up in a drill press and use a file if you know when to stop.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Hi Murphy, I'm going to use the belt to head space for a .458 American chambered in a short action, It's a switch barrel project and I want to maintain the .472" bolt. Rebated,You know...like the 425 westley richards...450 SOCOM etc. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    Hi Murphy, I'm going to use the belt to head space for a .458 American chambered in a short action, It's a switch barrel project and I want to maintain the .472" bolt. Rebated,You know...like the 425 westley richards...450 SOCOM etc. Thanks for the response.
    You can use the popular 284 and make a .411" or .416" on that shouldered case if those calibers appeal to ya'.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?