Thread: Wood River Contolled Use Area (GMU20A)

Post Wood River Contolled Use Area (GMU20A)

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking at hitting the WRCU area for a walk-in moose hunt in late September (can't get away for the hunt until 20 Sept). I'm hoping to get some info on the area from folks on the forum that have some boots on the ground experience there. I don't mind hauling heavy packs 3-5 miles (strong back, weak mind), but I'm not up to a 35 mile hike back to the truck (over and over again). Looking for advice of how to get close to the WRCU area without busting the "no motorized vehicle" rules. It appears that there is a trail that skirts the north boundry. Does anyone have info on what this trail can handle (i.e. can my F350 make it down it, or do I need to find a wheeler, etc..) as well as the condition of the trail (realize that this area has had a ton of rain earlier in August)? Any help you can provide will be appreciated. I'll take PMs, postings or smoke signals. Thanks and "keep your powder dry".

Default Trail

The trail you are referring to is the Rex Trail. Much has been written. Better do a search for rex trail. I would say you can't get anywhere close with your truck. Good luck

If it's got tires, or is over 1500lbs forget the Rex. The Rex has been torn up for the last five years by big tired rigs and is in deplorable shape. I will not take my wheeler out there. If you got tracks on your wheeler or Argo, and you don't mind deep water in the holes, then go for it.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

There are several air taxies that can drop you off and pick you back up.

Quote Originally Posted by CenterMass View Post
    I'm looking at hitting the WRCU area for a walk-in moose hunt in late September.
    Wood river area and walk-in do not go together. Airplane, airboat, shallow water Jetboat or a less than 1500lb wheeler with a good winch are about your only options to get you to a spot where you can start walking.

Default Wet Rex

Will anyone tell me if the Rex Trail is drying out? I have not hunted it in the past few years and have not hunted it when it was not frozen or iced up. I really would like to know what the first and second river are like and if you can cross them on a four wheeler. Thanks in advance, Dan

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Rex is still flat. and though it has not rained there are still many holes that normally are dry; filled with the soft silt and mud. last week many folks have showed up at clear sky to unload only to reappear several hours later with broken equipment headed home.. this year IMO. and ATV has no place on the Rex.

also DNR has posted weight limit signs on several other area trails with the 1500lb weight limit...

i spoke with the biologist. out there he stated that the 1500lb limit has always been the law and that a permits is required for over that amount.. this year they are enforcing the re and soon the other trails will be enforced as well.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Wet Rex

Thanks Vince, I have a new Argo Avenger and don't know if I should run the tracks or not. It gets tooo much traction in mud with them and it swims better with out the tracks. I don't know what the two rivers look like when they are not frozen so I don't really know what to expect of them. I am planning on my Argo getting across, just don't know how challenging they are. Dan

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

as an add I am not sure what they mean but neither did the Biologist i talked to...... the 1500lb is CURB weight.... I take that as whats on it at the time..... GVRW is the manufactures weight. dry if any one else knows better i would like some schooling on it...

Thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default curb vs GVWR

The curb weight and what he vehicle actually weighed when it was sent out he manufactures door are the same. The GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and that is established by the manufacature. The GVWR is the allowable weight the vehicle can carry and includes the curb weight plus the cargo that you carry in it. A good example is you vehicle registration, it has the curb weight (what it actually weighs). This in part determines how much road tax a vehicle pays, the more it weighs the more tax you pay. If you look inside the driver side door it should have a data plate that says what the GVWR is. If you have an accident and are found to be exceeding the GVWR, the manufacurer may not stand behind the vehicle and you may not hold them accountable for vehicle failure. As a side note you will also see GVCWR, this is Gross Vehicle Combination Weight Rating and means you add the GVWR of a first vehicle plus the GVWR of a Trailer and come up with the combination they should be able to safely carry. Sorry if it was too much definition.

Thanks AKDAN, for the def. cause like i said even the F&G guy didn't know what was what. because honestly with my 500+ lb 4 wheeler, fuel, me, trailer, gear, dredge, etc i bet i weigh 1500+ total toss a kid or two into the equation and the extras i need to pack for them. and i can only leave so much at camp the dang bears eat it......

meet on face book here