Thread: Coho Hootchies?

Default Coho Hootchies?

Wanting to troll for Cohos with Hootchies this Fall here in Southern Southeast. Besides trying to figure out what colors/sizes the troll fleet has emptied from the local store shelves maybe some of you have some favorites. I'm new to Ocean fishing so any advice would be helpful.

Bandon, OR

If you're "on the fish", color and size just won't matter. If you're trolling and LOOKING for fish, my not-so-secret trick is to try my favorite King combinations, just with a shorter lead between the flasher and hootchie. If I'm King fishing with a 28-32" leader, the same rigs get cut down to 18-20" to begin, and have gotten as short as 12" behind the flasher.

The cohos I've been hitting the past few weeks have been on the full spectrum of colors: green on green, green on white, blue on white, blue on ultraviolet, pink/purple on rainbow, white on white, black and white on white, glitter gold on orange/gold, etc. I do find that any extra action I can give the rig helps... a small spin-n-glow on the nose of the hootchie has been catching disproportionally more fish than the rigs without spinners.

Happy Fishing!
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR