Thread: Hunting with the 45-70

Talking Hunting with the 45-70

Greetings,
    Just bought (another, again) Uberti 45-70, and have been working up loads for the fall season, wondering if anyone else hunts with a 45-70, esp. one of the single shots, how they like it, what works for them, and the effectiveness on various critters, spent several days chasing pigs here in Ca with no luck but still had a great time in the field, talk to you soon
    sunaj

Default CA pigs

Where were you hunting pigs? I used to hunt them around San Miguel and several times in the Redding area. Single shots are not too popular here, but the Marlin 1895s are used, especially as back up for bears.

I'm hunting them in Mariposa County, I live in Fresno area but I refuse to hunt with copper bullets, as this Kommie state just passed a law outlawing lead bullets in the so called "Condor Range," so I am hunting up north (relative to me), I plan to use lead in most of my hunting bullets as lead is much easier on your barrel, extremely accurate, can be pushed beyond 2000 fps with GCs, and one can cast wonderful bullets with lead

Quote Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
    Greetings,
    Just bought (another, again) Uberti 45-70, and have been working up loads for the fall season, wondering if anyone else hunts with a 45-70, esp. one of the single shots, how they like it, what works for them, and the effectiveness on various critters, spent several days chasing pigs here in Ca with no luck but still had a great time in the field, talk to you soon
    sunaj
    The only large game I've killed with 45-70's have been deer, and by preference I use factory equivalent loads- a 400-405 grain lead bullet at around 1400 fps. If I want something hotter, I just use a hotter caliber like my 450 Alaskan or my 458 Winnie. Just my twitch. The rifles weren't single shots, but the loads sure were. I push 550 grain bullets out of my Sharpes 50-140 at around the same velocity with the same results, so I guess that puts me into your single shot question. Then there's my 38-56 Winchester 1886 launching 250 grain lead bullets at similar velocities.

These days I hunt deer mostly with traditional muzzleloaders launching 50, 54 and 58 caliber roundballs at velocities in that range, and those sure whap the snot out of deer.

None of the deer with 45-70's have come past 100 yards, but they were sure dead. I've never had any reason to doubt the killing power of lead at less than 2000 fps. In fact I've confirmed that you can count on it. Not the greatest trajectory-wise for past 100 yards in my book, but then I take pride in taking my game inside 50 yards. That's hunting to me.

Default 45-70

I hunt with a Marlin 19895M in (.450 Marlin) essentially the modern 45-70. Here in Texas I have killed Fallow Deer, Whitetail, and Aoudad goats with my .450. All of the shots have been 1 shot/1 kill. All shots have been taken at +/- 100 yards.

I have also taken a cow elk near Durango,Colorado at about 75 yards. again, 1 shot/1 kill. I have been using Hot loads from Buffalo Bore Ammunition ( I think they are 405 grain).

I would be confortable using it in Alaska on Black or brown bears. Because of the ease of multiple cartridges.

I would limit shots to about 150 yards.

This is my 2 cents.

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
    Greetings,
    sunaj
    Congrats on your new purchase. I hunt with 45-70's and I use a single shot a lot. I personally prefer hotter loads and I don't use lead because at higher velocities, I can't get them to group. I use Barnes X 300's and 350's and have taken 6 buffalo, elk and deer with them. With my friends, who also shoot singles, we've taken 12 buffalo and have another trip in a couple months. Haven't found them to be any handicap...my brown bear that I took last fall had no complaints either. You'll enjoy your gun very much and if you're like us, you'll find hunting with it more fulfilling and enjoyable. Good luck, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Wink Nope.

Unless this counts!

Taylor
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hunted blackies in CA with .45-70. Solid round, and those short Marlins are great for hunting in the brush. Critters didn't complain. I've since moved on to .375, but merely because I like the rifle better.

With Buffalo Bore ammo there is nothing on North America i would back down from. Its a great round and thats why it has hung on for so long.

Default The 45-70 is fine...

I'd post a picture of the small buck that I just shot about 24hrs ago...except that I put a 325gr LeverEvolution bullet right down the center of his head. Unfortunately this turned his skull into a canoe--even at 110yards.

Chunking large gobs of lead at moderate velocities can give some excellent results. I'd say go for it--even with a single shot. I hunted last week with a Ruger #1 Tropical in .405 Winchester on Montague. Just figure out what makes you the most comfortable and accurate when you're out hunting. The 45-70 is plenty enough gun if you are proficient and confident. A cannon won't do you any better if you're afraid to pull the trigger when it counts...

I'de like to see that picture ice, I am currently shooting the leverevolution in my 1885 but unfortunately I just found out the case is shortened which kind of fuggs up the case for reloading, and Hornady isn't selling the ballistic tip component, so I guess I will be using another round, anyone try the American Ammo (from Isiraeli Arms) they are selling a 405 cast bullet @1250 fps really cheap (which means a cheap way to get cases)

Default If you can afford the firearm...

You can afford the brass. Go get some good Starline brass and forget about going cheap on the stuff that may be called upon to get you out of an encounter with Mr. Brown.

I shot a brown bear with a 45-70, I was using hot handloads and a 405 grain Kodiak bullet. The bear ran about 30 feet into the brush and dropped. I shot a black bear with 405 grain factory ammo, he ran a bit further. The velocity does make a difference, the higher the velocity, the more hydro-static shock is induced as the bullet travels through the tissue. So, if you couple that with a big bullet, and end up with for example a 405 grain bullet going 1800 fps at the muzzle, you have a very effective round. The penetration on big heavy bullets is outstanding.

Default 45-70

I have been hunting with a 1895 G for several years when I am in thick brush. I have taken two bison and one moose with it so far. So far the load that I tend to use more is the Ture Shot 430 GC from Oregon bullets. I am currenlt using 43.5 grains of IMR 4198 and can clover three shots ay 50 yards. This load is NOT for the timmed, as it barks at both ends.
    Some day I would like to hunt pigs in California but I am sure that the time of year that I could get there, there would be no open season.
    Good luck with working up a load for your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    ISome day I would like to hunt pigs in California but I am sure that the time of year that I could get there, there would be no open season.
    Pig season in CA is always open. As in there is no season and no bag limit

Re: pigs in Ca. the problem here is greed, there is a lot of talk in the papers about how pigs are destroying property, becoming a nuisance, etc., but then again a lot of landowners are charging exorbitant fees to hunt them on their property $300-500, and most good pig hunting is on private property, with prices like that I'm personally broken-hearted over it

Default 45-70

Yes, I use a 45-70 for most of my hunting. Past 4 years, 3 moose and a 'bou. I hunt with a Marlin Guide Gun and it works perfectly for how I hunt. I tend to get off the boat and into the alders to kick moose out of their beds at mid-day. Past few years I've been using Buffalo Bore 350 grain loads that print clover leaf patterns at 100 yards.
    It's kind of a bummer - the ****ed thing keeps working so I don't have an excuse to buy another gun.
    TTFN