Thread: Chitna Late Season?

Default Chitna Late Season?

How late in the season have you been out to Copper River?

Hems is shut down and F&G pulled Miles Lake Sonar.

I went mid August last year and did pretty well. Havent made it out that way this summer yet. I'm jsut itching to go this year, but not sure if its too late. Still need fish for the freezer and a last trip of the summer.

Here's to all the fall BBQ's.

They will be there.

I was down there last Thurs. and did pretty well. Mark only had one boatload of charterers and so we all got primo spots. I got 22, and that was about average or so. Most all were still Reds with a few silvers. Don't know at which point the Reds thin out totally.
    I'd gone down some years ago in Sept(Mid to late) and was a nice trip. Fairly steady dipping and all Silvers. Had the whole place to myself. Got real chilly at night and you don't dipnet very easy at night with it dark, as opposed to June and July with it light all night.
    Let us know how you did.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default late season success on Copper

Thanks Paul. (And thanks for all you do for Chitna dipnetting that goes unrecognized)

Headed out over Labor Day weekend just to get out of town and see if there were still fish. We did fill 2 individual limits in less thna a day.

More people out than I expected. 12 cars in parking lot. And one guy with a fly rod? But quieter than the chaos in July.

Road keeps getting worse, but still passable. A few tricky parts with full cooler weighing the 4-wheeler down.

Some still nice looking reds, a few turned, but not many. And they were a lot larger than past late season runs. A few silvers too. I thought a few reds were kings it was so big!

Glad I made it back there this season. We've been back the past 5 years usually at least 2 times and hadn’t made it out to Chitna this season.

It's not summer in Alaska til you've made it to the Copper River!
    (Even in September!)

Default Better than work...

I drove down from North Pole yesterday (9/9) for my first-every dip. (Unfortunately could not go earlier in the year due to work). Mostly wanted to go just to do it; figured it would be a bonus if I could put a few in the freezer. The girl at 1 stop said that things had been pretty slow and she had only heard about silvers being picked up. She also warned me that there had been a lot of bear activity in the area lately. I went down below the bridge and didn't see any obvious places (based on what I've learned by reading this forum). What I did see was a lot of bear crap and paw prints. As I'd left my .357 "bear repellent" at home, I decided to move on down the road towards O'Brien Creek. When I got there I found 2 other guys fishing off of an outcrop upstream from the "beach". They said the fishing had been slow but steady. There was no bear crap or tracks to be found. I found several back-eddies and put the net in the river. Took me about 10 minutes to pull out a HUGE silver. Unfortunately he looked a little "over ripe" so I let him go. I averaged about 1 fish every half hour and took 1 silver and 2 pretty good looking reds over about 2 hours of fishing. Not the haul I secretly hoped for, but better than I deserved considering my experience and timing. I suspect I could have been more successful if I wasn't spending so much time turning around to check the tree line for approaching bears. If conditions had been more favorable I'd have fished until dark, but with the rain, bears, wind, lack of a whole lot of fish and lack of anybody around to notice that I had fallen in or been attacked (the other guys went home), I decided to pack it in. All in all I had a good time and have something to show for the effort, even if it isn't a freezer-library of fish. I'm looking forward to going during the good part of the season next year. Oh yeah...I saw a real good-looking black bear on the way out! What a hoot! Glad I didn't see him while I was fishing!

Anyone know if you can hunt the blackies on the state right away?

I'd assume one couldn't shoot on or across the rightaway, or on private land, but asside from that shouldn't be a problem.

If a trooper wanted to cite you you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone you didn't know that you were shooting from a road given the traffic it recieves.

I know you can shoot on from, across, or to a road. However I'm specifically talking about between the river and the road. Which is what I believe referred to as the right away, the same one that which we can access the river in most areas along the river. Some time back we had to pay the trespass fee to access to the copper river. Then they found that the distance between the high water mark and the right away near the old RR road was actually state land.