Thread: Alliant Warning re: Blue Dot in .357 and .41 Magnums

Default Alliant Warning re: Blue Dot in .357 and .41 Magnums

Got a faxed warning from Ellett Bros. the other day, from Alliant, regarding a warning about using Blue Dot powder in .357 with 125 gr. jacketed, and ANY use in .41 Remington Magnum...
    DATE: July 25, 2008
    Alliant PowderŪ periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that recommended recipes have not changed over time. During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder?s Blue DotŪ should not be used in the following applications:

Blue DotŪ should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue DotŪ recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
    Blue DotŪ should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
    Use of Blue DotŪ in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.
    Alliant Powder Blue DotŪ Product Safety Notice

Thanks, That was interesting. one of my go to loads in the early 80s was from the Speer 10 involing 125 G .357 and blue dot. It showed signs of excessive pressure early even back then.

Blue Dot has always been a bit squirrelly with ignition and pressures...especially in cold weather. I used it in the past primarily for making duck loads for my 12 gauge. The shells that sat in the shotgun for a while out in the cold didn't have the same thunder as the ones kept warm in my jacket.

I spoke to an Alliant Rep about this safety notice and he said their loadings have run up to 98% of SAAMI pressures. New testing showed that some of the previously published .41 Magnum loadings exceeded that (although they were still under proof pressures).

He also mentioned that they will be publishing new Blue Dot data for the .41 Magnum in the future. Alliant just wanted to get this information out to reloaders as quickly as possible so they published the "cease and desist" to accomplish that.

I have shot blue dot for years and i love it! I will have to review my loads and make sure i am ok but with thousands of rounds out of my handguns not one problem. A bit dirty but a great powder

I, too, have used it for years and am using it for some 44 spcl and 45 ACP loads now. I find it odd; it isn't good for 357, 125 grain or any 41 mag load but is OK for all other handgun loads? Weird. So far my loads with this lot are doing fine. 10.0 grains in the 44 special, 3" gun is 900 fps with a 240 grain cast. A nice gentle loads.

Thanks for the notice DW, I'll watch it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default .41 mag and Blue Dot

I agree with Murphy--strange warning. I guess ignorance is bliss or God protects idiots and babies! I have been using this powder in .41 Mag. since the early 70"s with no problems. A MHP friend of mine used it exclusively in 357 Mag Model 66 with 125 gr bullets back then. I was under the impression it was actually developed for .410 shotguns which would make it even stranger since both have an actual .410 bore. Maybe Alliant had some factory problems and are trying to cover their posterior gluteus maximus.