Thread: New binoc time....

Default New binoc time....

Considering the Nikon Monarch 10x42, Leupold Mojave or Cascade 10x42, or the Zeiss Conquest 10x40. Anyone have any thoughts either way?
    Cheers

That is quite the price range! I assume that you are looking for the best glass under 1K. For the budget minded the Monarch is top notch. If you are willing to spend a little more you can step up to the Vortex or my personal favorite the Minox HG in 10x43. The Vortex are great glass and rival the high dollar Swarovski's. The Minox are just as clear as the Vortex and weigh much less due to their magnesium frame. To give you an idea of the bennefit of the magnesium frame that is what the super big buck Swarovski EL's use!
    I would eleminate the Leupolds from the list, they are not as good as the onarch unless you step up to the gold rings. The gold rings are more expensive and not as good as either the Vortex or the Minox. I went through this same mental debate earlier this year and decided on the Minox HG's, I love them and they live in a harness on my chest from the moment i crawl out of my bag in th emorning. I bought them for sheep but currently have been using them moose hunting. I was still counting brow tines after 10pm last night for 20 minutes after my cousin had already given up and gone back to the wheeler! I have not played with the zeiss conquest bino's but I have a conquest scope and it is very bright and is without a doubt the best scope I have ever used, I could still see the crosshairs at 1030pm last night. Try them all and see what you like!

Thanks for the info. I have looked through all of them, and they all were pretty nice actually. The one item i noticed was that the Nikons are being in made in China while the Leupolds are made in Japan. The Leupolds seemed smooother in use than the Monarchs. My upper limit is about ~$600, as after that, you seem to meet a point of diminishing returns.
    You like your Conquest? Good news, i just put one on my .280. Had a Bushnell Elite 4200 that was nice glass, but the relief at 3" was just too close and was causing me to crunch up on my grip. The Zeiss is MUCH nicer!

Default Check out Doug at Cameraland

I bought a set of Pentax 10/50 from him last fall. The are the real deal! They put my steiners to shame! I think normal they ran about $900 and I bought the refurbished ones for right around $600. Some of the best glass I have ever looked through!

Northway

Default Second Cameraland

I got a pair of the Minox. Had never heard of them before but they are FANTASTIC!! They beat alot of higher priced glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I got a pair of the Minox. Had never heard of them before but they are FANTASTIC!! They beat alot of higher priced glasses.
    Had, repeat had a set of Minox that got dunked in salt water. Never been the same since, you can see the salt deposits inside on the lenses. No warranty, so i won't be going there, the Pentax might bear investigation, their spotting scopes get rave reviews.

Try looking here. Good Service and fast delivery.

http://www.samplelist.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Had, repeat had a set of Minox that got dunked in salt water. Never been the same since, you can see the salt deposits inside on the lenses. No warranty, so i won't be going there, the Pentax might bear investigation, their spotting scopes get rave reviews.
    I've never dunked my Pentax binos in the saltwater but I have dunked them in my sink and sprayed them down to clean them up. I've had the 10x43 DCF SP's since they first came out, 5 or 6 years I think?? Anyway, great binos and lifetime warranty. I also have a PF 65 spotter. I'm a Pentax fan.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I love my Nikon Monarch 8x42! Highly recommended. Especially when you consider they are under $300 retail.

I would also check out Meopta binoculars- Cabelas sells them as their Euro Binoculars 10X42.
    But they are more expensive, $799.

I love my Nikon Monarch 10x42's, they have held up to all the abuse I have given them and still work great!

You might also look at the Cabelas Pine Ridge binos, they are very similar to the Nikon Monarchs and a bit cheaper. I looked at a set a fried has and can not tell any difference looking through his and looking through my Nikons in a side by side test.

I bought a pair of Pentax SP 10x43's two years ago from Cameraland. At that time they were hailed as the best binos for under $1,000. The Minox HG stole some of that thunder when they came out and some say that the Vortex is also in now as a rival. Cameraland usually has some demo Pentax SP's that can easily be had for under $600. My SP's have been a crystal clear and bullet proof since they arrived.

The Monarch's are a decent bino for the price. If you do some more research on the Conquest you'll find that many people aren't as pleased with the Conquest line of binos as they are the Conquest line of scopes.

www.opticstalk.com has alot of really good information on binos. When you find what you like, Cameraland has the best pricing and service your going to find.

I'd call Doug at Cameraland and ask him about the new (I mean brand new, Doug's had them for less than a week) Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED. There is a whole raft of pages and pages on reviews done on Doug's other Cameraland Optics forum at 24 HR Campfire. Yeah, I'm new here so I hope that posting a suggestion for another forum is not out of line. Since CameralandNY is a sponsor of both, I hope this is OK.

The 8x Promaster ELX is $499.99 and believe me, you will not top that image much at 3x the price. I don't know what is up in the design to do that, but it seems to be the optics real deal. I did one of the reviews and I'm going to order one for myself. Its a new deal and yes, there is some new guy on the block issue, how's the reliability, service and warranty and other potential issues.

They are an open bridge design, similar in appearance to the Bushnell Infinity. It has less space between the hinges than a Razor. Weighs 27 oz. It might not suit you, but I'd at least give it a look. Go over and give the reviews a look. Its under the basic title of Mystery binocular, because Doug didn't tell anybody what it was for a week or so. Pics and specs are now at the CameralandNY site.

I ended up buying the Monarch 10x42s. I tried them up against the Pentax DCF 10x43. The Nikons seemd to be just as good and 1/2 the price. The Nikons were nicer than the Leupold Mojaves. Was out with them hunting last weekend, and no regrets.

In my opinion nothing can compare to the Vortex Razors and Minox HG's. They rival the top three in quality, but at a much lower price. I have looked through the Conquests several times, and have stacked them with the Minox's. I was disappointed and thought they were not the equal of the two I just mentioned.

Brent

Love my Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42's. And for the money could buy a pair of 12x42's and have change left over then buying a more expensive brand. Crystal clear optics and they just flat out work great.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Yukoner,

Doug just put out a great sale on the Pentax SP's. $439 for 8x43 and $469 for 10x43.