Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on an Outdoors Directory 1st annual poker run?

Question Thoughts on an Outdoors Directory 1st annual poker run?

I'm just throwing this out to you guys to see if there would be any interest in doing an ODD poker run in order to meet a few folks on here. I've never organized an official "poker run", but with a couple of people working on it, I can't imagine it being that hard.

So, what do you all think? Would there be enough interest to do this or are we organized enough .

Mike Echo?? what do you think? Any other "volunteers"?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Deal me in!

Count me in as well. I'll help with planning and setup if I can deconflict my schedule...shouldn't be a problem.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Count me in as well......if it's before February '09 otherwise I'll have to look at the pictures.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

If I'm off I'll definitely try and swing it. Got new shoes for the 'ol girl! Might be a good time to use 'em!

So, what area are you guys looking at? I would be interested if I could ever get some time off work...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Location?

I guess Jim Creek would be the obvious first choice but areas like King river, Eska Falls (might be a bit technical), and Pt. Mackenzie could be other options.

Building this house has taken up all my time lately (and will continue to through most of Sept.), but maybe an early Oct. run would work out? I ride all winter so whenever we can make it happen would work for me.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

count me in if its on my off week. it would be alot of fun to ride with some new people.

Crappola'! How did I miss this thread? I'm in!

Default I'm in

and I'll help set it up although I have never actually been on a poker run (repressed childhood, repressed teen-agehood, repressed adulthood :-).
    We have a month before we start losing venues to the snow I think!
    Tough trail?, easy trail?, bring the families?,????
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I am sure many more people will do it. I say "Plan it and they will come" I know of no fewer than 6 machines that will do it if I ask them.

Just to simplify things, lets just plan on holding this at Jim creek. It looks like we will be getting into the house at the end of Sept. so mid-october should work for me.

Lets throw some dates out there - Oct. 11/12, or 18/19? What would work best for the most people?
    AKmud

Default Yes!

I would love to, but I work on the Slope - two on and two off. Don't plan around me though, if I can fit it in I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Just to simplify things, lets just plan on holding this at Jim creek. It looks like we will be getting into the house at the end of Sept. so mid-october should work for me.

Lets throw some dates out there - Oct. 11/12, or 18/19? What would work best for the most people?
    I would just pick a date because you will never get everyone to agree. If you pick it...they will come! Jim Creek is the best place to have this event this time of year (IMO). I have done a few "poker races" and would be willing to help set this up. I just participated in the Performance Yamaha Poker Race in Eureka. We had a blast even though the weather was not cooperating.

For what it is worth...the Oct 18/19 weekend works for me.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Sounds good, lets make it Jim Creek on Saturay, Oct 18. Details to follow .
    AKmud

To bad it's not at Eureka, a poker run would be fun as we've never done one before. Maybe next year we can do one up at Eureka and make it a weekend event.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Sounds good, lets make it Jim Creek on Saturay, Oct 18. Details to follow .
    I'll start sending the word out...I already have about 15 folks that want to attend. I will see how the 18th works for them. Thanks for setting the date!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    To bad it's not at Eureka, a poker run would be fun as we've never done one before. Maybe next year we can do one up at Eureka and make it a weekend event.
    That would be a great idea!!! I can help get some sponsers lined up for prizes. We need to bring this idea back up early next year for planning.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Exclamation

For those of you that don't look at the "announcement" section

Please mark your calendars to join us on a family friendly ATV Poker run at Jim Creek/Knik on October 18. We will be meeting at the parking lot at 9:30 am and will try to leave as a group at 10 am.

For this first run, the route will be very easy and will take us to Wolf point where we should be able to spot some Sheep and maybe a bear or two on the hillsides.

For those who haven't been on a poker run before, here is how it goes. If you want to play the poker hand, there will be a $10 buy in for each player. We leave from the parking lot at 10am and there will be 4 major stops along the trail throughout the day. At each of these stops, we will each draw 1 card from the deck. Those card values will be documented and then we continue the ride. The 5th and last card is drawn when we all get back to the parking lot. When the card is drawn, the player must declare whether they are going for the highest or lowest hand. After everyone has drawn, we will have a couple of poker pros go through and find the high and low hand winners who will then split the pot.

Suggestions on what to bring (clothing/gear)-

- raingear (not only for rain, things may be muddy!)
    - waterproof boots
    - layer up with warm clothing and have a place to stow extra clothes if temps are warm
    - some basic tools/survival gear (matches, flashlight, towstrap, etc...)
    - GPS
    - two way radios
    - whatever else you want to bring!

Food -

We are planning on stopping midway in the ride and having a bonfire and eating lunch. We will have a means to grill some food either over a fire or an actual gas/charcoal grill.

Please bring your own main meal and maybe some chips, snacks or fingerfood to share. There should be several rigs like 6x6's and Ranger/Rhino type that can assist carrying gear if needed.

More information will be coming, please PM me if you have any questions or post your question in the ATV forum under the Poker run thread.

See you there!!

FYI - I'll need a few volunteers to assist with this in order to make it a success. During the ride I'll need one or two people to run ahead of the group to the next checkpoint so we can get everyone stopped before they pass by. Also, if anyone has any leads on potential door prizes , they are always an attractor. I will have my chainsaw so we can buck up some firewood when we get to wolf point. I'm thinking we can go up the road to the meadows at Wolf point and eat lunch up there. This won't be a high speed ride for most of the group and I'd really like to have families bring the kiddos along.

I'm thinking we can probably do the first card draw right as we cross Jim Creek, the second at Friday creek, the third at lunch in the meadows, and the fourth back at Jim Creek. The fifth and last card will be back at the parking lot.

If anyone has a portable grill (gas, charcoal, or fire grate), please bring it. We should have plenty of room for gear with the UTV's and 6x6's going. I have 3-two way radios I will be bringing as well.

Any other issues/concerns we need to address?
    AKmud

AKMUDDY---you never told me about this forum--Nice!

Im in for the poker run along with TY Im sure, maybe even have th ewife a new Wheeler

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast