Thread: Yukon River to 21B for Moose

Default Yukon River to 21B for Moose

Looking for some advice

A friend of mine got drawn for DM802 in unit 21B for Moose. This is basically a hunt on the Yukon River upstream from Ruby and downstream from Tanana. There will be two people in his boat, I'm going for backup support with two people in my boat.

He will be in a 20 ft prop driven boat.

I will be in an 18 ft prop driven boat.

I am taking a spare lower unit and several spare props. We are planning on launching at the Yukon River bridge around Sept. 15 and buying fuel in Tanana. We plan on returning to the Yukon River bridge by Sept. 25th

What other hunting opportunities should I plan for?
    What type of fishing gear should I bring?
    Any good books on the Yukon out there?

We are driving up from the Kenai Peninsula, he has run the river several times during the winter by snowmachine on his way to Nome, but neither of us have ever run this river in boats.

Looking for any and all advice.

Thanks

John S.....Sent you a PM

Pike fishing gear for the sloughs and rivers that run in, Black bears hang out along the river. The Yukon is fairly easy to run in that area and the main chanel will run from 30 to 90 ft deep. Let me know if you have more specific questions - I have run that portion of river on many occassions.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Pike fishing gear for the sloughs and rivers that run in, Black bears hang out along the river. The Yukon is fairly easy to run in that area and the main chanel will run from 30 to 90 ft deep. Let me know if you have more specific questions - I have run that portion of river on many occassions.

Rambling Raven,
    I've never pike fished on the Kenai Peninsula, ADFG is into eradication in our area. What basics do you think I should pick up at the Sportsman's Warehouse as I pass thru Fairbanks or Anchorage for Pike fishing? What would you consider the basics in tackle?

We have a policy in our house that we don't kill it unless it is trying to kill us or unless we plan to eat it. With that thought in mind, we have always hunt black bear in the spring. Can I assume any fall black bear along the Yukon river would be basically unfit for consumption????? At least very fishy? Are they dining on rotting fish??

In my dream world someone would send me a file of a Garmin Track or Route that is "Mapsource" compatible that has successfully taken them thru this area of the Yukon. This might be asking too much, but if a person who is familiar with the river could provide this info it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh yeah, and is Tanana pretty much guaranteed to have fuel available???? We're working on our fuel load completely depending on that.

Thanks,

I am making the trip Sept 1 through the 16th. I called Tanana Commercial and fuel is 6.39 gallon and they said they take credit card and have an ATM machine. Called Ruby and fuel is little cheaper at 5.70 gallon cash only. I'll be heading all the way to the Koyukuk. Good luck and have a fun trip.

Blacks along the Yukon and nowitna will unlikely be fishy. Kill them, keep the skin, and eat the meat. They will be fat. Likely feeding on berries or other plants.
    21B is also a registration hunt I believe. So you can hunt moose also, but will have to cut one antler. Should be able to get the reg. permit online or in anch. or Fbks. Or in Tanana.
    There will be a hunter check station at the mouth of the Novi. Will likely be plenty of other hunters also. Get out of the boat and call, look around. You will enjoy the trip likely.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Pike gear: Med-Light action salmon rod with 25 lbs braid and 12in steel leaders. Baits (various colors and sizes ranging from 3-8 inches): soft bait fish imitations, Rapala (rattle type are best) stick bait type lures, sliver minnow spoon, gulp soft baits to liven up silver minnow, Gulp worms (wackey rigged), Meps comet (Big), Buck jigs, and Cyclops. Those should cover finicky fish. They are listed in the order I would use minus the first two, which could go either way. Remember to vary your retrieval prior to giving up on a particular lure. Good luck and have a great time.

John,

The black bears in that area will be good eating. We have seen the cinnamon color phase as well in that area.

For pike lures red and white and/or chartruese daredevils are my lure of choice followed by a couple colors of rapalas. They are also fun on the top water stuff as they can be agressive on the bite. You can also take a couple herring for bait fishing and pick up both pike and burbot -

I have never saved the route on the GPS but I think you will find the river relatively easy to run in that area.

Default pm

Sent you a pm

I used to live in the area.

The 18 and 20 footers with do fine. I know of maybe on person that used a jet. They're not necessary there.

Bring fishing gear for pike and grayling. A medium action rod and 10# test line is plenty. The pike hit anything. Daredevils and Johnson silver minnows work great, size 0 and 1 spinner for grayling in clearer water. Steel leaders should be used for pike. The area has sheefish too.

+1 on the black bears. There are no salmon spawning streams there where they can get into fish so you don't have to worry about nasty meat. If you do take a whack at one make sure you're a few miles away from any of the villages (Rampart, Tanana, Ruby) you may be passing through as these areas have their own population of dump raiders.

It's a good idea to stay on the north side of the river from Tanana to Ruby and navigate from point to point until you get into your hunting area.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Pike gear: Med-Light action salmon rod with 25 lbs braid and 12in steel leaders. Baits (various colors and sizes ranging from 3-8 inches): soft bait fish imitations, Rapala (rattle type are best) stick bait type lures, sliver minnow spoon, gulp soft baits to liven up silver minnow, Gulp worms (wackey rigged), Meps comet (Big), Buck jigs, and Cyclops. Those should cover finicky fish. They are listed in the order I would use minus the first two, which could go either way. Remember to vary your retrieval prior to giving up on a particular lure. Good luck and have a great time.

This is VERY helpful but a little too wide of choices for me.

Can you narrow it down to your top three choices, sizes and colors of any of the above.
    In other words if someone let you pick only THREE items from your tackle box to take pike fishing what EXACTLY would they be.

Thanks for your time,

How secure are things up and down the river? If we leave a boat tied up with no one in it for the day will it and the belongings in it be safe?
    Any vandalism problems at the Yukon River launch on the Haul Rd for parked vehciles?

Am I overdoing it to bring 4 props and a spare lower unit? Weight is an issue, this is a 50HP Kenai River boat.

Thanks

People are generally pretty respectful of other's property along the river. There can be exceptions, but they're rare.

Be mindful of the native corporation land boundries in the area too. No one gets too wound up if someone pulls over and camps for the night, but if you look like you're homesteading, self appointed locals may show up.

Local people run that stretch of river everyday from break-up to the first chunks appearing. I'd say leave the spare lower at home and take a prop for each boat.
    Now what ?