Thread: Map Tubes

Default Map Tubes

Hello,

I am one of those old fashioned sorts who likes to keep their maps rolled up in a tube when out on the water, have always used a piece of 2 inch pvc with threaded endcaps for that purpose, wondering if anyone has something better that they like and would be willing to share.. the pvc can be a pain sometimes getting it to seal and is definitely overbuilt/heavier than what I need.

Default maps in the field

I keep mine folded in individual gallon ziplock bags, numbered sequentially. The bags go in a flat map case with a clear window on the front. It has a clip on it that I clip onto the cargo net on my raft, where I can reach it easily. Works better than anything I've used so far. Nice thing is that I don't have to laminate my maps anymore.

HERE'S A LINK to a similar item. This one is different from what I use, but it may work for you.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default www.mytopo.com

There is a better way to things. Laminating and rolling maps? I don't think so. Not since I found www.mytopo.com They are pretty awesome from what I can see. They are waterproof and fold up small, like 4" x 8". You can choose from three different size maps. You can choose UTM grids or lat/long, or both. You can select the title of the map, which is on the front of it when folded up. Whatever name you want. You can pick the map you want of course, but the coolest thing is you can slide it. Hard to explain, but what I mean is if you are looking at Delong Mts, B1, B2, etc.. and part of your river runs in the corner of the map or along the edge, you would normally find yourself with lots of maps and it is a pain switching back and forth. With mytopo, you can move the area of emphasis to be in the center of the custom topo map you are having printed. You really need to check out hte website. I just got one for my upcoming float trip in NW Alaska. These are impressive maps. 1:24, 1:63, etc.. are all available with the click of a button. Long story short, the 5 rolled up, non waterproof USGS maps I ordered from the map store at Univ of Alaska in Fairbanks will be staying home on my float trip next week. I have two waterproof, utm/lat/long grid marked, custom made folding maps that cover my whole float trip. Check out the below link....

http://www.mytopo.com/index.cfm?gcli...FQNfFQodUDkaZQ
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Gets even better than that.

Get a GPS with topo maps..

Chris

The UTM coordinates are for plotting your location on the topo map with the use of gps. You get the UTM coordinates from the gps and plot it on the UTM grid on the topo map. That is the cool thing about these (Mytopo) maps. Most other topo maps do not have UTM grids. A simple instruction book and grid overlay can be bought from www.maptools.com You just have to buy a UTM grid overlay tool ($5) that matches the scale of your map. Below is a booklet that explains it all in a simple way. And below that is a free online tutorial. It is easy to do and $20 would buy all you need to go with your gps and USGS topo maps. But if you got the Mytopo maps I suggested earlier, you could skip most of this as the UTM grids are already on the maps. It is an option you have when making the map on Mytopo.

http://www.maptools.com/products/UTMGuide.html

http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/UTMgridoverlay.html

Use the below product with regular topo maps (that don't have UTM grids)

http://www.maptools.com/products/MapGridding.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default 2nd what dan says

used mytopo during a spring brown bear hunt---perfect product!!!

Default Thanks

That looks great, I was hoping for something for my rather profuse map collection that I already have, but I definitely will be converting to these over time... thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    Get a GPS with topo maps..

Chris
    Or you can have both. Seen at Cabelas.

Also the following (rigid plastic) tube would work well too. Might be a good holder for the frame wrenches and ratchet. I know the m'cycle guys like to use them for tool storage...and only $4.99

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.as...cd2=1220720188