Thread: Rust Prevention - Restoring finish

Default Rust Prevention - Restoring finish

Hello,

I own an older mossberg 20 ga shotgun (model 500) that I have grown to love and is virtually an extension of my hands when I am hunting. They have actually discontinued this particular model of the 500, so I really want to keep this one in good condition - it is my workhorse gun that follows me through everything.

Heres the problem, throughout the years I have worn the bluing off the magazine tube and parts of the barrel. I recently used Permatex Gun-Bluing kit (several attempts now) to restore the magazine tube ... however it seems it is much more prone to corroding than the original bluing (no surprise) so what I want to do is essentially send off the barrel and mag tube to have them coated with something similar to what Mossberg uses for their Mariner model.

Does anyone know of a company that will do this, and if so, have you had any experience (positive or negative) with having it done.

Thanks

Default Some help?

Just got back from some field time with the shotgun and it once again needs a super cleaning to get rid of rust... just started to think about giving it a camo paint-job and call it good. Can anyone advise me of a better solution? Thanks

I saw a comment that Wildalaska @ WWG made about a salt bath nitride finish. I don't know exactly what it is, but if you PM him I'm sure he'd elaborate.

Me, I'd seriously look at something like Duracoat or Cerrakote, something I could do myself on a utilitarian field gun like your's or even perhaps Parkerizing it.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Limetrude View Post
    Just got back from some field time with the shotgun and it once again needs a super cleaning to get rid of rust... just started to think about giving it a camo paint-job and call it good. Can anyone advise me of a better solution? Thanks

Here is a solution in a can that has worked for Alaskan for decades. It is vary good in marine environments. It's available locally. It's use is legend, because of it's performance here in Alaska.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...map2&catId=372
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Me too...

One salty day duck hunting in Traitors Cove destroyed the factory finish on my 500, except for the aluminum receiver. Afterwards, I had the rest of it powder-coated a medium to flat black. I took all the big parts with me on a trip south and had a outfit in Medford, Oregon do the powder coating.