Thread: Kodiak Charter Recommendations

Default Kodiak Charter Recommendations

A buddy of mine is going to Kodiak with his parents next weekend and is looking for a good charter. They just want chicken halibut, nothing big. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kodiak has a lot of really good charter boat operations. I'd highly recommend giving Ken Newman at Runnamuck Charters a call, 486-3802. He'll take your friend and his/her parents out for what ever they want......provided he has room. If he doesn't have room, I'm sure he'll refer your friend to another charter captain that Ken works with.

The halibut, silver, and king fishing has been very good. My parents just left about a week ago after a two week visit. I took them out four times and sent them home with 12 kings, about the same number of silvers and halibut. They bought a second chest freezer (5cu/ft) for the back of their truck after we filled the first one (7cuft).

Mike

Default Be sure to ask...

I have heard nightmare tales of some charter operators requiring clients to split the catch evenly with the boat and then have the catch processed where they take them.

I have heard this several times and once even first-hand.

Not are charters are created equal...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I have not heard that about the charters in Kodiak, but then again I haven't used a charter here. I did have what you described happen to me with a charter in Illwaco WA. about 15 years ago. Come to think of it, that's the last time I used a charter.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

FishGod,

I'll be taking two charters in Kodiak next week. I've been planning the trip for quite a while now (please read pm I sent you). Tom

Default Kingbusters

John Parker with King Busters charters is who I would go with. Long time Kodiak guy who could catch fish in a mud puddle.