Thread: Muck Boots

Default Muck Boots

Does anyone here hunt wearing Muck boots? When I say hunt, I mean getting off the 4 wheeler and actually walking up mountain sides and such, not just hoping off to check some game signs. I was thinking about getting a pair because they look tough and very waterproof. I am extreemly hard on gear and go through one pair a boots per hunting season with wet feet and i am gettin feed up with it.

Thumbs up

Myself and my son have put a lot of miles on Mucks. I find that they fit me better than any other boot of that type and I don't find that my feet sweat any more or less in them compared to any other rubber boot. They're probably not for the extreme rocky slopes, but they work pretty good everywhere else I use them.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

My two cents =

Muck boots - great for people with wider feet.

Xtratuffs - better for people with narrow feet.

I have narrow feet and Muckboots and though I love them and think they are very sturdy, I'm fed up with trying to walk any distance in them because they just don't fit me - even with thicker socks. Even tough Xtratuffs are (IMO) not as well built nor as sturdy, I'm going back to them for fishing and short walks.

For dry feet and hiking, I would say that neither are the real deal. I would go to Cabelas and find waterproof lace up hunting pacboots - the key being "lace up."

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...navAction=jump

Default Good Boot

I can't tell you about walking great distances in them but have used them in my duck hunt and stayed warm in them. They are constructed well and they are comfortable!

Muck boots are great-I have owned the Tacks, a pair of the Wetlands and the Edgewaters-these being my favorites. I beg to differ with the person above saying they are for wide feet-mine are 9AA's and one of the biggest reasons I went with Mucks was because of a tighter fit. I still have to wear insoles. They also hold up to abuse very well. After 2 years, the Edgewaters I have are still 100% waterproof.You also might browse lacrossefootwear.com and check the Alpha Burlys. Hope this helps.

Thumbs down

I bought a pair because I have a few buddies that use/like them. The 1st time I wore them I stuck a stick through the side about where the sole meets the upper in the arch of your foot. That made me take a closer look and the matierial is very thin at that point and the neoprene in general is not very tuff stuff. I returned them to Cabela's and got a pair of their Duratraxx, they were great for the 1st couple of months but them I noticed the rubber was cracking like you would expect after a couple years of use. I returned them and got Lacrosse burly's, I've had them for close to a year now and they are holding up great.

My .02

KK

Default Mucks

Have a pair of the plain black ones(don't know the make). They have an aggressive tread and feel great on my feet. Never had any problems with them, except a stick poke through the neoprene shaft. Since, it is neoprene, it self sealed. Have no leaks, what so ever. Warm in the winter, too. The great thing about them are you can roll down the shaft to put them on or pull them off, unlike regular rubber boots.

Default Insoles?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    My two cents =

Muck boots - great for people with wider feet.

Xtratuffs - better for people with narrow feet.

I have narrow feet and Muckboots and though I love them and think they are very sturdy, I'm fed up with trying to walk any distance in them because they just don't fit me - even with thicker socks. Even tough Xtratuffs are (IMO) not as well built nor as sturdy, I'm going back to them for fishing and short walks.

For dry feet and hiking, I would say that neither are the real deal. I would go to Cabelas and find waterproof lace up hunting pacboots - the key being "lace up."

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...navAction=jump
    Hey Alaskaflyer331, maybe try some insoles?
    What you say about foot width is helpful in choosing boots.
    I've tried some of those after-market insoles in different shoes and just put some into Mucks, which are just a shade wide. Tightened 'em up just right I think. We'll see next week in the woods.

Thanks.

Default was not impressed

I prefer the lacross alpha burley. It is rubber all the way up. I had a pair of mucks and put a stick through the side. The lacross are just as comfy and a lot tougher.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I constantly where my Mucks. I have the silent stalker hip boots. I just came back from the slope. We were flown in to camp, I spent 5 days in my Mucks and never complained.
    I wear them in the duck blind, peninsula bear hunts and AK Range Bear Hunts and love them!!!

Default mucks

I agree with the insole thing, mine fit much better with the insoles...I have narrow feet too.

I put prolly 50 miles on mine out on the tundra and 20 or so in the woods, and they held up great. You do have to be careful tho with the thinner arches and the neop sides. They have great support and are very comfortable.

I have worn the Alpha Burleys and they are sturdier material.

I plan on buying the Mucks again when mine wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I prefer the lacross alpha burley. It is rubber all the way up. I had a pair of mucks and put a stick through the side. The lacross are just as comfy and a lot tougher.
    I haven't owned any Mucks, but yes, I LOVE my Alpha II's. B-day present from the wife, and I will not go hunting without them again!! Great boot!

Default Mucks with insoles

Back from 8 days slogging around Salchaket Slough in Muck Wetlands: thumbs up.

Conditions: Mostly warm weather. Little overcast. Less rain.
    Plenty mud. Lowland scrub/forest and swamp land.

Activity: Setup/takedown camp x 2. Hiking to/from hunt site with gear packs approx 1 mile daily x 4 days. Remaining days we hiked far less.

Impression: Excellent for conditions. Pliable, comfortable boot - well-suited to lowland conditions dominated by shallow pools, mud (wet or dry), bog/swamps, grasses/down trees and no rocky land. Rollling down the neoprene top on sunny, 70-degree days or when hauling gear helped cooling. Boots fit my fairly wide foot well with added insoles from Barney's- made a snug fit which helped in sticky mud.

Muck boots were excellent for my feet on this hunt.
    LaCrosse Alphas seem a tough boot though - and maybe preferable for a narrower foot, or more rocky terrain.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone. It was between the A burleys and the Muck arctic sports. I went with the artic sports and havent had a single regret.

How durable is the sole and the material? I bought a pair of similar boots by lacrosse and shoved a stick through the material about the 3rd time I wore them so they went in the trash, kinda pissed me off because it was only a tiny branch.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default No problems...yet

I havent had any problems with them yet, and i have spent the last 3 weekends in them stomping thru the brush to get to my hunting spot. there was some people on here talking about the brush poking holes thru the Neoprene on the boots but i figured if that happens, i would just buy a chest wader repair kit and fix them.

Several miles on the muck boots during moose this year. Can't beat them if you have big calves. The alpha burley looks good, but doesn't fit the larger legs and feet. Muck performed well and is just like wearing slippers in the woods.