Thread: If it is your last or only sheep hunt....

Default If it is your last or only sheep hunt....

If you could only go on one sheep hunt in your lifetime, or could only go one more time, and you only had ten days to hunt...

...which ten days?

August 10-20?

Late August? Early September? Last 10 days?

Does it matter?

Default Sheep hunt timing

I like the first ten days of the season. Days are longer, temps are warmer and it is a very pleasant time to be in the mountains. Also the interval between that and moose season is a bit longer and gives me a chance to recover!

Of course if you're hunting a pressured area, it's usually a foot race to the best spots. I try to avoid that and have chosen the later part of the season for that reason, on occasion. But then you run the risk of snow. It's much more challenging to spot sheep in snow than when there is none.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Doesn't matter

Of course there are lots of variables based on your personal circumstances and where you are planning to go (ie a late hunt in the Brooks range might not be the best choice), but I've killed sheep in every part of the season. I don't think it matters. Weather can be totally crappy the first ten days and warm and sunny the last 10. More important than timing is having top quality gear and most importantly be in the best shape of your life mentally and physically. Oh ya, and being in an area that holds rams is helpful too :-)

Default Benefits either way...

One could also argue benefits for a late season hunt (or when winter arrives earlier than one would hope). Early snowfall may push otherwise unaccessible rams down to stalkable territory. Also the winter coat on a late season ram makes an outstanding mount. But the hunters have to weather the same conditions as the hunted...

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
    If you could only go on one sheep hunt in your lifetime, or could only go one more time, and you only had ten days to hunt...
    I am sorry I can't wrap my head around the question...

I'm no sheep hunting expert, but I think that if I knew I would only have 10 days to hunt sheep in my life, I would want them to be long days. Put me down for early season.

You have to hunt an area with legal rams. Regardless of when you go that is the key criteria if your goal is to kill a ram.

Default When I hunted

I alwyas prefered the 1st 10 days of September. Why? Becasue a good portion of the sheep hunters are out of the field, many are moose hunting by then. Cooler weather often had some of the more remote, tought to get to, sheep moving. sheep that wern't in some areas early in ther season have moved around then. Weather? I always had, rain, snow and sun! Typicaly out of 10 days I would only loose a coupleto weather. Hunting hours during that tie, were plenty as the body has to rest some
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Spend the money! I would hire a guide and let them find the sheep of your dreams. I would be on standby waiting for the call, so whenever they call that would be the 10 days I would hunt.

If you are local and want to do this hunt yourself, I would still spend the money and hire a pilot and do some flying. As far as which ten days. If you are looking to just shoot a sheep and donít care about getting a mount then I would agree going early would be my choice. You will have more daylight and most likely better weather. If you want a nice mount I would wait till later. The length of the hair and (IMO) quality of your mount is much better if you wait and hunt the last two weeks of the season. The later you hunt you also have less hunting pressure and fewer yahoos out hunting sheep, they are all hunting moose.

I also would wait another several years then put in for the 13D East tag. This unit has produced some real hogs. In fact, I will be posting a photo of one of these hogs by the 21st of September.

Troy

Default rookie

Having only gone once, I am no expert. I went guided last August out of Healy.

I wrestled with the thought 2-3 days prior to the opener getting into an area, and losing the hunting days, or go on the second hunt with more available hunting days, and cooler weather.

I ended up going on the opener. I was blessded with great weather, saw nobody for 4 days, and sat on a band of 18 rams until the opener and capped off at 11 am opening day.

For me, it was nice to be first into an area, and hunt sheep that hadn't been bothered for a year.

If I had it to do again, that would be my plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images