Thread: AA#9 in 44 Rem Mag

Default AA#9 in 44 Rem Mag

I had some AA#9 around so loaded some up with 300 XTP's. I was impressed with the lack of muzzle blast and very good accuracy. It was a little dirty burning, but the good performance was impressive. So, how come you dont hear more about this powder when loading the 44 Mag is discussed. Any one else using it? Does it suffer the same performance swings as H110/WIN296 being it is also a ball powder? Gonna load up some more and take the chronograph next time.

It suffers from the same ills as any of the ball powders and it is dirty, too. It is a little faster burning and as such it won't squeeze ever last inch per second out of the heavier bullets but it does work better for slightly reduced loads with any bullet weight. It is a very good moderate velocity powder for general duty 44 loads and will even work for moderate to fast 44 spcl and 45 Colt loads. But its main difficulty is dirty and temperature stability, not a big deal, but burn rate seems to vary quite a bit from lot to lot. If you use it under max and find a good load, it works pretty good. AA powders are more economical and you'll use a little less of this powder so all in all it is a compromise like so many powders. It does need a mag primer in any case size.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Never tried it. I think most peoples thinking is, if you're loading full patch use H-110 or W-296 as they produce top velocities and accuracy. If you want a mild load, it's hard to beat Unique or a similar powder.

To me the AA#9 is a nice compromise between Unique territory and the fire spitting H110. From what I hear of VV110 it might be THE powder. Got to get some and try once the AA is done.

Default You might try Lil Gun

I've found that it gives very good performance with heavier bullets in larger bore magnum pistol loads with somewhat lower pressures then 110 or 296 with about the same weight of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I've found that it gives very good performance with heavier bullets in larger bore magnum pistol loads with somewhat lower pressures then 110 or 296 with about the same weight of powder.
    You cannot load AA#9 at the same charge weight as H110 or W296! That would be higher pressures. Are you talking about AA#9?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I shoot 2400 in my .44mag with an 8" barrel and i love it. never been a big fan of accurate powder.

Loads for the 44 mag with 240 grain JHP and AA#9 max is 21.0 grains.
    H110 max is 24.0 with this same 240 grain bullet. These loads will give about 1350 fps from a long barrelled 44.

With a 300 grain JSP AA#9 max is 16.5 grains for about 1100 fps.
    With same bullet H110 is max at 20.1 grains for about 1200 fps.

AA#9 is probably better with bullet weight less than 240 grains but with heavier bullets, H110 is going to give the highest velocity.
    AA#9 does burn more consistantly when reduced below max, so will be more versatile for any middle of the road loads for the 44 mag. About 16.0 to 18.0 grains it works fine with the 240-250 grain bullets.

I think Mauserboy is referring to Lil' Gun (from his subject line).

Mike

Default What do you think of goats milk....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I think Mauserboy is referring to Lil' Gun (from his subject line).

Mike

Er..uh....well, I guess he is, I missed that all this time I thought we were talking about using AA#9 in the 44 mag. I think Tom hit it right it is between Unique and the H110/W296 powders. A good moderate load powder.