Thread: Moose calling megaphone

Default Moose calling megaphone

Do any of you use a mega phone or what ever you want to call it whn calling moose or just cup your hands or make one out of birch bark? I am going up moose hunting soon and was just wondering? If so where can you get them in Anchorage?

Aaron

Default called a bull magnet

The one I use is a Bull magnet...

I've seen them @ Walmart, Sportmans Warehouse, Mt. View Sport's, Barney's, Wiggy's and Boondock's in ER... Pretty much any place that carries hunting stuff...

Second the bull magnet. It's not 100% necessary, but works well for vocal amplification and is also very useful for thrashing brush.

Default You can make one

I made one out of an orange traffic cone, just cut it down to size and spray paint it.
    Also made one out of fiberglass like the bull magnet, more work than it was worth.
    Used both to kill bulls, the cone is kinda nice because it can be flattend some for packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I made one out of an orange traffic cone, just cut it down to size and spray paint it.
    Also made one out of fiberglass like the bull magnet, more work than it was worth.
    Used both to kill bulls, the cone is kinda nice because it can be flattend some for packing.
    I am a neophyte caller but so far I use my hands or just my mouth. I have the Bull Magnet as well but I hunt really light for moose. I carry a Marmot ultralight stuff sack bag with a 100l camelback in it along with a poly pro military jacket, a head lamp, skinning knife, GPS, a small snack, and some flagging tape. There is no room for the bull magnet while I am still hunting. I have been playing with calling alot this years as there is a ton of sub-legal bulls in my hunt area. I can make very low bull grunts with just my mouth while slowly walking and so far have had them stand up out of the grass at 20' and stare for several seconds trying to figure me out. I could see the use of the bull-magnet for a call and wait tree-stand operation but it impractical for the hunting I am doing this time of year.

Another nice use for the bull magnet, beyond amplifying the call is to use it to amplify what you hear. Put the small end up to your ear and you will be surprised how much more you can hear.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default bull magnet

the bull magnet has more than one use which makes it very nice for calling.
    The fiberglass design replicates the bulls horns for thrashing in the brush and off of small trees and you can also find a small stream and fill it with water and then trickle it out the bottom into the river to replicate a cow in heat urinating in a river (which is what they apparently do allthough i have yet to see it.)
    The call carries a looong ways and can easily pull a bull from a mile away.
    use it as instructed and then listen, hearing a Large bull call back to you is almost on par with calling in an elk "almost"
    Dont be afraid to beat/ scrape that thing on anything you can find that is small and brushy or a small tree like what a real moose would pick on.
    Justin

Thanks alot guys I will be in anchorage Sept 2nd and will try to find one near my hotel before I fly out!! I think I am staying at the days inn if I remember right is there something near there I have never been to anchorage before?

Aaron

Sportsmans warehouse and Mountain view sports are very close to the Airport in Anc. I am not sure but 6th ave outfitters may have it as well if you are staying at the Days Inn on 5th ave.
    Good luck and have a great hunt!

Thanks guys I'll report back if it worked!

Fred Meyer even has them. Cost around $38.00

Default moose horn

Primos makes a pretty good megaphone. I called in 6 cows and small bull on it last season.

pretty sure that walmart wells them as well
    Justin

I guess I am staying at the puffin inn now are there any of these shops near there or walmart?

If nothing else, you can cut out the big bottom of a plastic 1-gallon water/vinegar/bleach container. You can even use it to trash the bushes. Cheap too.

Fred Meyers is not too far from the Puffin Inn. Just a couple miles away on Dimond blvd. just west of Minnisota blvd. Just mapquest it.

Default Bull Magnet

Or make one out of Birch tree bark.