Thread: Valdez Silver Update

Default Valdez Silver Update

Well everyone, here are two Silver Salmon vids from Valdez two weeks ago. Great weather, tons of fish, and tons of fun. Doesn't everyone just love that place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nu_Ph6925I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgNPNSAeBXg

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

great videos man. Thanks for sharing.
    Did you speed up some of the video?
    Or do Valdez Silvers take caffeine pills?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    great videos man. Thanks for sharing.
    Did you speed up some of the video?
    Or do Valdez Silvers take caffeine pills?
    Haha...lol! Yeah a few parts of the video are sped up, I wanted to spare everyone of some of the slow parts. I'd have to say some of the Brutes were on something, man they had some fight in them! The worst part was when some got to the net, they broke the hook off and got away when they were right next to the boat. Thats why we all call it fishing though.

Fish On!

Default line and lure/bait

I'm headed to valdez this weekend, and planning t hit the public dock.

As far as line I was going to use 30# power pro with a swivel and a spinner lure. Will this setup spook the silvers? Should I use a mono leader?

Please reply or PM.

I can't wait to slay some fish.

Quote Originally Posted by gvb55 View Post
    I'm headed to valdez this weekend, and planning t hit the public dock.

As far as line I was going to use 30# power pro with a swivel and a spinner lure. Will this setup spook the silvers? Should I use a mono leader?

Please reply or PM.

I can't wait to slay some fish.
    That would probably work. What I see most people doing from the dock is using herring suspended under a bobber. I have also seen people use in line spinners and pixies, even a wiggle wart once. Then to get the fish up to the dock, they lower a landing net with rope and scoop it once it gets close enough, and of course if you don't wrap the fish around a pillar. Good Luck to yeah!

Fish On!

Default OK, I'm no engineer, but...

Quote Originally Posted by growden1 View Post
    That would probably work. What I see most people doing from the dock is using herring suspended under a bobber. I have also seen people use in line spinners and pixies, even a wiggle wart once. Then to get the fish up to the dock, they lower a landing net with rope and scoop it once it gets close enough, and of course if you don't wrap the fish around a pillar. Good Luck to yeah!

Fish On!
    How does a net dangling a a rope net a fiesty silver salmon?? Do you just hope he/she swims into it? Sounds pretty comical to me. Why not pay someone to sit in a raft below, scoop the fish into your net, then give you a thumbs up to heave it away. Could be a great way to make a few bucks. Ya want your fish netted? Toss down a buck! lol Hey, it could work!

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    How does a net dangling a a rope net a fiesty silver salmon?? Do you just hope he/she swims into it? Sounds pretty comical to me. Why not pay someone to sit in a raft below, scoop the fish into your net, then give you a thumbs up to heave it away. Could be a great way to make a few bucks. Ya want your fish netted? Toss down a buck! lol Hey, it could work!

Lol.....yeah thats what I thought when I first saw it. When its low tide the water is down about 20 or so feet, I saw people rig the hoop with the rope, stick a rock in the net to keep it from floating, and when the fish got close, or right above the submerged hoop, then you just lift the rope up and you would have it. Of course there were some people that would lift it straight up with the hook and line, but then I would see alot of people lose their fish doing it that way. I guess you just can't knock it until you try it.

Got my limit from the city dock on Saturday, and the net system works like this: The dock is huge and about 20 feet off the water. You make a harness like a parachute attached to a normal landing net, then attach that to a rope used to lower it to the water. It has to be flat or it'll be pretty close to impossible to net the fish unless you're really lucky. Throw a rock or other weight in the middle of the net so it'll sink a bit, then the person fighting the fish maneuvers it in position, the one holding the net pulls up, and voila, fishies are caught. It's quite fun, really.

I was using a whole trolling herring. Attached to a gamakatsu two-hook mootching rig. Tossed the thing out as far as I could, no weight or bobber or anything. Just let it settle, drift around, whatever. After it's had time to sink a bit, very very slowly reel it in. Speed it up just long enough for it to flash some color, then stop again and let it settle. I got seven fish that way (I have a proxy, too). The next day, tried trolling from a boat, had bad luck. We got two in about 6 hours. Anchored in a spot where the fish were consistently jumping like mad and used the exact same technique as from the dock and I got another 7 fish, the other two I was with got 4 or 5 each.

Good luck!

Default Pier net

I saw a similar setup used on the Cocoa Beach pier in Florida. They had hoop nets that were rigged to be lowered and raised flat on long ropes. You'd hook a fish and there was always somebody willing to drop the net for you...once the fish was in the net you dropped you rod and hoist it hand-over-hand.

It was effective and fun. The great thing was the nets were left on the pier full time so you didn't have to go buy your own. Sort of like the life jackets they have for kids at most boat docks.

John
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

We were down there recently. The net setup works very well. Even a smaller size hoop. You just remove all the longer parts of your net handle, and rope it on three sides for balance. You would be amazed how well it works. Even pulled up a heavy starfish, husband caught on his herring line.

Default wish I could see a picture of that

It does sound like fun, but what about when several folks have a fish on...could be a net cluster....

Default Valdez Silvers

Growden1
    Sweet post and great VIDS
    Can't wait to try Valdez.....

Default Harbor entrance

Many people are fishing the harbor entrance at the RV campgrounds and behind the Best Western. The fish are even into the small boat harbor itself.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Many people are fishing the harbor entrance at the RV campgrounds and behind the Best Western. The fish are even into the small boat harbor itself.
    Sunday when we came in for the day, the harbor was loaded with fish from the entrance to the first fuel dock. People were catching them from the ends of the docks, and we were tempted to keep fishing right there in the harbor from the boat. I'm sure a lot of the trollers could have done better just staying in the harbor...lol.

I'm not familiar with the lay out for fishing in Valdez so I've got to ask, does anybody have any experience using fly fishing silvers from a float tube in Valdez? Anybody even think it is a worthwhile idea?

Thanks for any info or thoughts.

It does sound like fun, but what about when several folks have a fish on...could be a net cluster....

I will try and post a pic from this weekend.

I heard Gene Simmons is going to be in Valdez this weekend?

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Sweet!

Growden,

Nice videos, thanks for posting them and getting me motivated for this weekend.

Nice music in them too!!

Fish ON! TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Growden,

Nice videos, thanks for posting them and getting me motivated for this weekend.

Nice music in them too!!

Fish ON! TSS
    Yes... I hope you catch a 23 pounder, I'm envious that I cannot be there this weekend!

Fish On!