Thread: DG335 Goat unsuccessful

Default DG335 Goat unsuccessful

That is right. UNSUCCESSFUL. I hiked back the Johnson Pass Trail on Friday night. Got about 1/2 way back and had to set up camp because it was getting dark. Was awaken in the middle of the night with a VERY large roar. I think a Griz stumbled upon my camp in the middle of the night. (mental note: buy a tent with windows).I sat inside wondering if he was gonna pounce. Never heard a squeak from him since. Woke up the next morning to pouring down rain. I decided to stay in the tent and pack up if/when things cleared up. About 5pm, the clouds finally started to lift and I hiked the rest of the way to Bench Lake. The trail was overgrown (6 foot tall) with all kinds of weeds. Half the time, couldn't see the trail. Set up camp at Bench Lake. Next day was beautiful. Sunshine...until I started to climb up a high mountain valley. The brush was so THICK that It took me 4 HOURS to climb up to 2500 feet. The alders/grass/weeds/parsnip/etc... was a FRIGGIN' NIGHTMARE! After 4 hours of what felt like walking through quicksand, with only 3 or 4 dozen faceplants I made it up to some BEAUTIFUL scenery. BLah...blah...blah... anyway. I saw only 2 goats in 3 days. They were about 5,000 feet up a sheer rock face. Spiderman would've **** himself if he had to climb up after those goats! Took 3 more hours to get back down to base camp just cuz of the bushwhacking ! (Mental note: pack in brushhog, weedwhacker, and machetes). I stumbled the nine miles back out the following morning. Passed up two Greenies on the trail who were shocked to see somebody with a gun. I was shocked to see them "without" a gun! There was sign of bear EVERYWHERE ! I told them that I was Goat Hunting. THey told me that they don't believe in guns...they believe in Bear Spray! I asked them if they planned on climbing 5000 feet up a cliff and spraying a goat with it hoping that the goat would be blinded and run off of the cliff. They didn't think it was funny. I did.
    Anyway....the bushwhacking on this trip seriously kicked my ass. It was like a 72 hour workout. I've been doing a lot of cardio since the beginning of the year, but I can honestly say my ass was kicked.
    The kicker is...I can't wait to regroup and go out again. This time...I think I'll wait for snow to push them down a little.If anything, it'll probably be easier without all the bushwhacking...or am I just fooling myself???
    Johnny

Maybe. Goats do tend to come down a bit with the snow, but if the snow goes too low they'll head right to the top of the ridge. Also, the grass and such will die, but some of that stuff is crazy slick once it's laying down on the ground. I'm glad to hear that you learned a lot and had a good time...good luck on the next go-round!

-Brian

Default sounds like a great hunt to me!

Welcome to goat hunting! DG335 is a tough hunt. I did about 12 miles on a sheep hunt this weekend. No sheep.

Default Me Too

Donít feel like the Lone Ranger. I hunted DC001 this weekend. I will start with the fact that I failed to get my pack down to the weight I wanted (it weighed in at 51). I have been doing a lot of cardio as well. I started on the Resurrection Trail and got the 13 mile mark and had a big slip/fall. The long & short is that I got to the East Creek Cabin and realized that there was no way I could successfully hunt. I started with the 800 Motrin that night and prepared for the walk out the next AM. Started about 930 and made it to the truck about 700. The Ortho tells me a Grade 1-2 MCL strain and a moderate pull of the hamstring. I still have 3 months to hunt but I want to get into it before the snows. I will be working the rehab as aggressively as I can. Good luck on the next trip.

Drew

Default Dg335

I drew the same tag last year, but wasnt able to hunt do to work. I scouted it though and planned a different route. I was looking to focus more on the south end of the hunt area. PM me or give me a call if interested in details.

Tom
    688-0792

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Passed up two Greenies on the trail who were shocked to see somebody with a gun. I was shocked to see them "without" a gun! There was sign of bear EVERYWHERE ! I told them that I was Goat Hunting. THey told me that they don't believe in guns...they believe in Bear Spray! I asked them if they planned on climbing 5000 feet up a cliff and spraying a goat with it hoping that the goat would be blinded and run off of the cliff. They didn't think it was funny.
    What a way to go to bed tonight then to have a visual of some one spraying a goat with bear spray. LMAO
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default lots of bear sign?

but no sightings? any black bears up high yet?

Default No Bear sightings

I just heard one...and I saw a good amount of bear scat on the trail. Plenty of tracks...large and small. The biggest front tracks were 8-9 inches across. BIG ONE lives back there somewhere. When I got out to the parking lot, I saw two young guys just getting back to their truck with their rifles. They said they just saw a blackie run across the highway near the parking area, but they couldn't find him.
    Johnny

Default Isn't hunting in Alaska fun?

Even though it was a tough hunt... I bet you are glad you weren't hunting animals on some pancake-flat farm in some place like Texas.

A bit more exciting, huh?

Good Luck on the rest of the season!

Default The south end

You might consider hunting Turnagain Pass for a break in trip, but the south end of the unit has the goats. The closer you are down towards Trail Lake, the better off you will be.
    It's not a great unit, but you're hunting goats, and I am home wishin.....

Default New Tactic

Ok...
    I believe I will go out again this coming weekend. I got ahold of a Zodiac with a 10HP on it. I was going to go up Trail Lake as far as it goes and hunt off of the RR tracks (at least walk them in a little bit). Is Trail Creek that empties into Trail Lake doable in a Zodiac? I haven't been out there yet. I was wondering if anybody has first hand knowledge of that area/lake/creek? That would shave about 9 hiking miles off the trip which would be a bonus if I got lucky and had to haul a Goat out.
    ONce again,
    thanks for all your expertise and opinions,
    Johnny

With a jet unit and experience - YES. With a prop - "good luck".

Default Trail Lake

Haen't fully explored the lake and shore line, but last year I put the jet boat in to clean out the salt water after a Seward trip and was crusiing across the lake and all of a sudden in the middle it went form 60+ feet to 1 foot or less, very fast. I had let off in time so only settled in the sand and got off easily. Don't nkow if you can work around this shallow or not, but I was quite surprised!

Default putting around the shoreline

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the river was that fast flowing or shallow. I will just put around the edge of the lake and get up near the mouth of the creek. That'll still shave off a ton of miles of packing out an animal if I get lucky enought to bag one.
    Thanks,
    Johnny

Man, I can empathize with you on the "jungle" you had to fight through to get to the alpine. That stuff is nasty. Maybe you could find a buddy to team up with you and help you lug your stuff in.

Default Trail Lake Tricks

Trail lake gets really shallow the closer you get to the railroad bridge. I've got a jet boat stuck in what appears to be the middle of the lake as we were heading toward the tressle. The lake level fluxuates with the weather depending on how warm it is and how much of the glacier is melting. Also be very careful if you plan on going underneath the bridge. There is some old pilings on the downstream side from the previous bridge that sit just underneath the water depending on the river level. Don't want to see your boat wrapped up on one of those.

Default Big D....

Thanks for the info on Trail Lake. I was wondering if a Zodiac could be pulled up under the RR bridge by rope? Is the water silty enough that you can't see any real hazards in Trail Lake? I was looking at going up as far as Trail Lake ends to the East, getting out and following the winter trail up to JP Trail. How is the current coming off of the Trail Creek? I understand this is based upon several factors (i.e. glacier melt, rain,etc...), but I'm just wondering if this is still "do-able" in a Zodiac? I'm not going to take any unneccessary risk if it is considered NOT doable. As far as pulling the raft up near the tressle and walking the tracks at the southern boundary of the unit....any suggestions? Are the RR Police looking for somebody trespassing on RR Property?
    Thanks again for some very helpful info.
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Thanks for the info on Trail Lake. I was wondering if a Zodiac could be pulled up under the RR bridge by rope? Is the water silty enough that you can't see any real hazards in Trail Lake? I was looking at going up as far as Trail Lake ends to the East, getting out and following the winter trail up to JP Trail. How is the current coming off of the Trail Creek? I understand this is based upon several factors (i.e. glacier melt, rain,etc...), but I'm just wondering if this is still "do-able" in a Zodiac? I'm not going to take any unneccessary risk if it is considered NOT doable. As far as pulling the raft up near the tressle and walking the tracks at the southern boundary of the unit....any suggestions? Are the RR Police looking for somebody trespassing on RR Property?
    Thanks again for some very helpful info.
    Johnny
    With a jet unit, you should be able to get past both ARR bridges. You should see goats on the south mountain face as you are going upstream. If you have a jet unit, you should try to "dock" at the northernmost bend in Trail Creek between the bridges. Bust brush climbing, don't fall off a cliff, and you should get a goat.