Thread: McCarthy ATV access

Default McCarthy ATV access

Heading to my property off the McCarthy road this weekend and will be bringing the wheeler. I've had this property for several years but never brought my wheeler out because I can drive to my property and there has always been these bollards in the middle of the foot bridges over the Kennicott river. It is my understanding that the bollards have been removed and you can take a wheeler across. However, I also know that the foot bridges have these metal bumpers on the sides, a set at each end, that reduce the width of the foot bridge.

Has anyone taken a wheeler across the foot bridges recently and what was the width of your wheeler? Mine is a Polaris 500 HO X2 with 589's so my rear width is like 51-52 inches.

I'm bringing my wheeler out regardless but if I can't take it up to the mine then the wife wants to bring out the bikes too.

Default ATV @ McCarthy Bridge

The Milepost claims ATV's are allowed across the bridge, and we've been wanting to bring ours up and do some exploring. Sure hope someone knows for sure, and that you'll post again after your trip. Thanks for the thread...

Default Crossing the Bridge

We crossed the bridge with the Hondas with 589's on them with a total width (from wheel spacers) of 51 inches outside tire to tire. Rubbed the tires a bit but it was no big deal. Just wait until the pedestrians are off the bridge before crossing and go slow and easy through downtown McCarthy. The park service let us ride through the ore processing facility at the bottom of the mountain which is part of the Nat'l Park. We then rode up the mountain to the actual mines. We could not get to the mines even in July as the trail was blocked off by deep snow at a stream runoff point. We got close though. You gain a lot of altitude quickly and the views are great.

Default Bridge info

Here is a thread from last year. Somewhere buried in there it mentions that the bridge is maybe 50" wide.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=13079

Here is a picture of the bridge that I found on the internet. The bridge is obviously more than 50" inches wide except for where it narrows at the bumpers.

I'm leaving tomorrow (w/ wheeler) so I'll report back on Tuesday what I find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks for info

Rockhound, you must have posted while I was putting my web link and pics on the thread. Thanks for the information. Based upon your information I'm not packing bikes along. My wheeler should be fine.

Default Bumpers

The nice thing about the bumpers, even if you don't get a straight shot at it, they'll line you up just fine. That's what we did, just let them bounce us into alignment and give it a little gas!

Default did you hear that Cabelas boy

give it some gas

I have a cabin there, and have measured precisely the width through the bumpers before I built my ATV trailer. But I also refuse to contribute anything useful to this forum, so long as they censor negative feedback on businesses. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
    I have a cabin there, and have measured precisely the width through the bumpers before I built my ATV trailer. But I also refuse to contribute anything useful to this forum, so long as they censor negative feedback on businesses. Sorry.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

This thread is a couple years old, but I just wanted to double check. Nothing has changed in the way of Side-by-sides being able to make it across the bridge, right??

I'd like to take a ranger up there, but I might just have to bring my wheeler with a trailer and couple bicycles...arg.

I have a friend that rode there just last weekend. I will check with him and post what he says.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

My friend who was there last week said that his four wheeler BARELY fit, and that one with wheel spacers probably would not, and definitely not a side-by-side.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default ATV only

I've been across the bridge with a wheeler that was 51" and 52" wide and we were rubbing. Not bad, but there was no room for anything else on the bridge. I'd say 52" is the max.

Also, I would suggest that if you do use a wheeler to cross the bridge try and carpool. There is no desginated parking in McCarthy so any "tourist" type atv's have to find someplace that is not on someone's lawn or in the road. Second, heading up to the Kennicott Mine it's also slim pickings for parking the wheelers if you decide to get off and walk around.

IMO McCarthy, Kennicott is not a wheeler trail area but it is possible to use the wheelers to get from point A to point B without having to hike from where your staying to McCarthy or having to hike the 4 miles between McCarthy and Kennicott.

The less attention you draw to yourself while riding around on the wheeler the better for all of us and the future of wheelers in that area. Be respectful of foot traffic, private property and have a great time.

While in the area if you're interested in a wheeler trail try the Nugget Creek Trail. It is a designated ORV trail that is open to wheelers and sideXsides. You will need a permit but that is easy to get. Go to http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...n-vehicles.htm its pretty self explanatory.

I was there last August and the bridge looks the same as that in the picture. I don't think a side-by-side would fit as they're wider than a wheeler.

Tim

Thanks all - I guess I'll have to stuff all the toddlers in a trailer behind the Grizz and have the adults ride 2-up for the 4 miles to the mill.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

cool trick for independent suspended atv's - hook a ratchet strap between the lower trailing arms under the suspension and suck the tires together to cross a bridge. We used this once at the rail bridge at Ferry and was able to get a full sized 06 Grizzly with 26" ITP's across with only a little rubbing in the tight spots