Thread: Halibut in Late Sept ?

Default Halibut in Late Sept ?

Will be in Anchorage the week of Sept 22-26 and wanted to Halibut fish on one of the days (willing to drive as far as Homer). Seems most guides have pulled out by then. Is this due to poor weather, poor fishing, no damand for trips. Any suggestions for locations and guides still running. There are two of us. Are some areas more protected and a better choice for late season Halibut?

thanks

Default Try Captain Pete

I went out with him late last September and we had a great day fishing out of Homer.
    http://captpete.com/our-boat/

Good luck,
    John
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Choose one of the charters in Anchor Point (15 miles north of Homer). They fish the same general area as most Homer guides but your ride time to the fishing grounds will be 20-40 mins shorter. Just not as "glamorous" fishing out of Anchor Point because a tractor is used to launch guide boats from beach.

Default Tractor Launch

Better call. I believe the tractor pulls out for the winter after labor Day.

You're probably right Roland. After all, their trip doesn't start until the fourth week in Sept.

But if there are four or more of them (or 2-3 wiling to pay a bunch each) then I bet they could find a guide willing to take them out whether he's "officially" put up for the winter or not. But everyone in the group would have to understand there'd be a 50/50 chance (or something like that anyway) of the weather forcing them to stay in close or possibly not be able to get out at all.

Thanks for the info... You are correct, the tractor launches are shut down by then. Is Homer the place to try to go out... or is another area more protected and less likely to get shut down from weather (ie Whittier). also it seems that Whittier has a late silver run. Is this likely to still be available from shore in late september? Thanks for reading.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by deckton View Post
    Thanks for the info... You are correct, the tractor launches are shut down by then. Is Homer the place to try to go out... or is another area more protected and less likely to get shut down from weather (ie Whittier). also it seems that Whittier has a late silver run. Is this likely to still be available from shore in late september? Thanks for reading.
    Dan
    The silvers are still active in Whittier during mid to late September, and sometimes even into early October. You can fish from shore at the head of the canal (off to left when you come out of the tunnel) or from Salmon Run (follow the road directly in front of the abandoned army barracks). Weather may be your only downfall in Whittier. I have fished there during the late season for quite a few years, and it consistently has windy, rainy, and overcast conditions. Sometimes it seems as if the rain is coming in sideways. Just something to keep in mind.

Default Late September charters

Most places I looked last September were closed for the season. I checked Whittier, Seward, Ninilchik and Deep Creek because I didn't want to have to drive all the way to Homer. I finally settled on Captain Pete's and came home happy and with fish. Weather that late is a hit or miss proposition no matter where you fish.

All you can do is roll the dice. That's part of what makes fishing fun.

(To me anyway.)

John
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

John,
    thanks for the suggestions, I will contact Capt Pete
    Best Wishes,
    Dan