Thread: Savage "Acutrigger"

Default Savage "Acutrigger"

What's the deal with Savage's "Acutrigger"? My wife put a limit on my spending for a deer rifle, so I'm pretty much limited to a Savage 30-06 or a Marlin 30-30.

I could go either way, but the Savage has the Acutrigger??? With that think vertical piece of metal on the trigger, it looks like it could be uncomfortable.

Any experience with this?

Plus, those who think I should go with the 30-30, let me know, and why! The rifle will be used on a fall deer hunt in SE, and I won't be shooting it much after that--maybe an occasional deer hunt. The 30-30, however, seems like an "all around" rifle. With either rifle, I would put a scope on it.

Thanks!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, I have no experience with Savage “Accu-trigger” but I do have plenty of experience with the 30-06 and 30/30 chambering. I love my 30/30’s and have several, but in my opinion their best when a guy is looking for a short, light, quick handling gun for relatively close range shooting. For example sitting in a tree stand were shots within 50 to 100 yards would be the norm, or for a “truck gun” that sits behind the seat or rides around on the front of your ATV. It’s a great cartridge and is far more versatile than many would lead you to believe, and as you have stated, can be had in relatively inexpensive rifles. That said, I think you would find the 30-06 to be even more versatile, especially here in Alaska were the critters often exceed what conventional wisdom considers to be the “maximum” animal size for the 30/30.

If price is really your main consideration, and you don’t care for the Savage trigger, just keep any eye on this forum for a good used 30-06 by Remington, Winchester or Ruger. I would guess you could find a nice one for about the same price as a new Savage.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The savage accu trigger is a very nice set up. For a stock trigger its the best one available. You can adjust it with ease and the triggers saftey tang ( the piece that sticks out ) is nothing you should worry about. My vote goes to the 06 and the accu trigger. Try it out you will love it.

Default For even less money...

take a look at the Stevens 200. Same gun as the older 110's, minus the AcuTrigger, and we sell 'em by the truckload for $325 out the door. You'd need a scope on it,though, as there's no barrel mounted sights. They're available in .223 Rem, .22-250, .243 Win., .25-06, .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, .308 Win., .30-06 and .300 Winchester Mag. Light weight, easy on the budget, they shoot well, and will last a long time given a modicum of care....something to think about.
    I believe that if I was restricted to just one rifle, I'd have to go with the .30-06. It can be downloaded to do anything the .30-30 will, and can be loaded up to take some serious critters. Ammunition is available everywhere on the planet in an amazing variety of loads.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 08-27-2008 at 13:08. Reason: .

Default Savage Accu-trigger

Savage makes a great gun now they did go through a time when they made junk but not now. I have the LEO sniper model with the Accu- Trigger and love it. It is in the middle to a bit lower in the price for a good gun. The 06 is by far the way to go with bullet weights from 90 grain to 220 lets you hunt any thing you want to in AK. Good luck on the hunt.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

It is the best "out of the box" trigger on any factory rifle.
    I have owned several and each can be set down to about 2.5 pounds with zero creep.

Savage rifles are not pretty but they sure shoot! accuracy is always top notch. I love mine with the accutrigger!! 22-250 that shoots .3" groups at 100yrds and a 30-06 that shoots .5" at a 100yrds. Great guns for the money. They even shoot better than some of my rifles that cost 4 times as much!

Smile the trigger.

I recommend not making your final decision based on the trigger. I would look more for overal relibility and resistance to wet or snowy fall season. And in my experiences savage isnt the best choice. There are competitvely priced rifles out there that would be better though. Remington makes a fair priced composite stocked rifle in the 5 to 6 hundy range and sometimes fred meyer and wal mart stores have better prices than the "local" shops. Although I do most of my purchasing with the the locals. Rugers usually arent too spendy either. But... sometimes you just gotta go with what catches your eye.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

So....your limit is around $550.00...? The advice given here obout the Stevens Model 200 is very sound. The price differance between the savage(with the wonderful accutrigger), and the afore mentioned Stevens Model 200 should afford you mounts and a scope...Something a little milder than factory loaded 30-06 ammo, like say, the 7-08 Rem. would be something that might help your wife become further interesten in shooting/hunting, because of the light recoil compared to the 30-06...it sure keeps the tree stand warmer