Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka Failure

Default Sitka Failure

My sitka mountain pants are comming apart! I have only had them in the field about 20 days in the year I have owned them and the seam in the crotch is comming unraveled. I have a feeling they will repair/replace the pants as they have a reputation for good customer service but I doubt that they will get it done in time for my sheep hunt which I leave for on the 3rd!
    Anyone else having issues with this gear comming apart? Any recommendations for other pants for my hunt? I am only taking one pair so they have to be TOUGH!

Default 2 suggestions

Here's my two suggestions...

Call Sitka... Tell them your situation. See if they would offer to front you a pair ASAP...

The other suggestion... Ask them - if you have them repaired (so you can finish this year's season) will they still warranty them... Then find a repair shop to stich them up for ya...

I had crotch seem let loose this year also... I had time so Sitka replaced the pants at no cost... It took a few weeks.

Even w/ the failure I still consider the pant my favorite...
    Winmag

Default Curious

Are they the 2007 or 2008 model?

they are 2007

Default interesting

as I was going to post on how I thought they were the best pants I have ever used while hunting! Hope they back them Lujon. I am totally sold on them. Fact is, I bought 2 pair when they were on sale. Glad I did and they were the 2007 models with all the pockets, etc.

I love mine and their warranty service kicks ass.

I think that I am going to go with the Sporthill's now. I will be sending back my Sitka's. I wore them this weekend since only one of the 2 seems was coming unstitched. While out I noticed that another area is comming un stitched in the knee. I am still dissapointed on the durability considering the amount of money.
    Are the new AsceInt pants more durable? I will miss the pockets but if the Ascents are more durable I will move to them.

Lujon,

I have used the Sport Hill pants on two sheep hunts and have put lots of miles one them. They are still holding up nicely. They are also making a camo pant now that would be much better than the black ones that I have. They are warm, stretch with you and have zippered legs. SH pants and micro-tex are my choices for pants. Some long underwear tend to drag a bit at the knee under both pants. That is my only gripe. By the way, they both dry fast but the SH dries the fastest. Hope this helps.

Default sport hill pant

I tried them and sold them right after I tried them on. They felt like a rubber stretch pants. A weird material for sure. I guess it is personal preference and for me, the sitka mountain pants are still the best I have ever worn.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My sitka mountain pants are comming apart! I have only had them in the field about 20 days in the year I have owned them and the seam in the crotch is comming unraveled. I have a feeling they will repair/replace the pants as they have a reputation for good customer service but I doubt that they will get it done in time for my sheep hunt which I leave for on the 3rd!
    Anyone else having issues with this gear comming apart? Any recommendations for other pants for my hunt? I am only taking one pair so they have to be TOUGH!
    Mine did the same thing... Waiting to hear back from them....

Northway- Sporthill makes different "cuts" that aren't so tight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Northway- Sporthill makes different "cuts" that aren't so tight.
    It also sounds like you got your hands on the "painted" camo which has been done away with now. The new camo is a big improvement. I was leaning toward the Mammut Champ pants but I doubt I will be able to find them in XXL before I leave tommorrow! Any suggestons on where to find the Champ pants in ANC to try on ASAP? I think Mountain hardware has some as well that may work but I can't find them either

Default Painted on camo

might have been what it was. I felt like a ballet dancer! Glad to hear they are making something different! No luck on the sitka pants and a warranty?

Well I about choked on the idea of spending $210 for what honestly feels like sweat pants! But after searching around town trying to find the champ pants in my size to try on but in the end with time running out (so much for MONTHS of carefull planning!) I bought the camo 3sp pants. I would have bought the black and saved 50 bones but alas they didn't have XXL... I did find a couple pairs of Mountain Hardwear pants but one looked like it would be noisy and the others reminded me a bit of the sitka material sans the sweet camo. Without reading some good reviews on them I am not going to risk wasting even more $$$ on something that is not goint to get the job done. I did swing by and see the good folks at boondocks and picked up 4 cases of mountain house for under $90. With all this running around I will be pushing my leave date back one day which sux, but I would rather have my gear in order and I havn't sighted in my 270 since the upgrade to talley rings.... busy busy busy.

Thanks for the help here guys and from talking to the folks at barneys it would appear that I am not alone in the crotch seam failure! Sitk responded to my email today and offered to repair, replace, refund my pants and recommended that I go to the new ascent pants. I may switch to the new pants since I don't use the pocket much anyway. I cant stand things bouncing against my knees when I walk so the pockets act more as reinforcements for the pants than storage for my junk.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Mine did the same thing... Waiting to hear back from them....
    Contacted Sitka gear. From what I can gather they no longer make the mt pant. Since my pants have pretty much fell apart they are offering me a pair of the Ascent Pants in exchange. We still have not worked out what they are going to replace my Mt Shirt with..... REALLY bummed they crapped out on me...

Any one have any reviews on the Ascent pant? From the limited pictures I can find it seems to be missing the leg pockets that were key to my purchase of the Mt Pant.........

Default Sporthill

I have used the Sport Hill pants on two sheep hunts and have put lots of miles one them. They are still holding up nicely. They are also making a camo pant now that would be much better than the black ones that I have. They are warm, stretch with you and have zippered legs. SH pants and micro-tex are my choices for pants. Some long underwear tend to drag a bit at the knee under both pants. That is my only gripe. By the way, they both dry fast but the SH dries the fastest. Hope this helps.[/quote]

6.5-284, I`m with you about Sporthill pants. I bought the new ones with camo this spring. I used them a lot this summer including 10 day sheep/grizly hunt up in Delong mountains and those pants are the best pants money can buy. Warm and dry fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Contacted Sitka gear. From what I can gather they no longer make the mt pant. Since my pants have pretty much fell apart they are offering me a pair of the Ascent Pants in exchange. We still have not worked out what they are going to replace my Mt Shirt with..... REALLY bummed they crapped out on me...

Any one have any reviews on the Ascent pant? From the limited pictures I can find it seems to be missing the leg pockets that were key to my purchase of the Mt Pant.........
    Not that it will help you too much - Reviews of Sitka gear are forthcoming on Backpackgeartest.org. Testers are in the process of being selected and Initial reports will be posted within the month. I will post a link to the reports when they are available.

Jason

Default Ascent pants - and just write 2008 off for Sitka

Ascent pants - 6 pocket, stretch DWR-type material - probably good material but only 1 pocket has a zipper. 2 front pockets have no closure. 1 back pocket and the two cargo pockets have a foldover flap - only.

Sitka had a tough year. I'll just send these back. I wore the Sport Hill Expedition pants for my hunt- they're cut on the trim side - and they were great. They were ripe after 8 days, but worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by coasty View Post
    Not that it will help you too much - Reviews of Sitka gear are forthcoming on Backpackgeartest.org. Testers are in the process of being selected and Initial reports will be posted within the month. I will post a link to the reports when they are available.

Jason
    I have intended to do some writups to submit but havn't accomplished them yet. I sure wish I had recieved my gear for free... I noticed the zipper is starting to come unstiched on my 07 90% jacket... I also caught one of the seams on my Mt pants that had pulled free on a branch crossing a fallen tree and really opened them up. I will be sending everything back to them Oct 1st... I actually purchased some cheap Sportsmand Warehouse brand poly hunting pants the other day to get me through the season dollar for dollar they are very good pants, quick drying and quiet in the brush but they don't stretch much. I have the Sport Hills in camo and I am not thrilled with them, I keep hearing how great they are but I find them too hot for just about any hard hiking. I feel like they never dry because I keep sweating in them! I will give them another shot and decide if I am going to keep or sell them, I guess worse case I can just use them as VERY EXPENSIVE long underwear for riding my sled this winter...

Disappointing to say the least.... I thought the guys at Sitka has finally made a product I could really use. The whole concept of mountaineering and hunting combined was exactly what I was looking for. The Mt Pants were my ideal pant. Stretched enough for me, great pockets, and were easy to walk dry. Even better a great camo pattern that worked where I hunted! If only the seams had held...... Still waiting to see what they send me in the mail for replacements....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast