Thread: Luv thndr & bull$%^*...

Default Luv thndr & bull$%^*...

For starter I am a BONEHEAD... I have never called moose before and honestly have never heard one make any noise in the wild. Having no field knowledge of moose sounds first hand I have been embarassed about making any noise and prefer just to still hunt or sit and glass. Well I purchased the luv thunder and bull dvd last year and pulled it out the other day bcause we missed a fork horn and I rememberd there was some tips on how to stop them when they are fleeing.
    Well I went back to where the forkie was and only managed to kick up 5 different cows. Normaly I hunt with one of my cousin and we take his wheeler in and out but today stuff came up and he wasn't able to make it so I was on foot the whole boring trail in. Well it is getting dark when I make it back to the main trail and I am thinking about the DVD and trying to emulate the sound one bull was making to pass the time while I am walking back to the truck. About 1/2 mile down the trail I hear some brush thrashing and someone emulates my poor moose call sounding just as bad as me. I almost laugh as we are quite close to where I park and I have never seen moose in that area. I figure some goobers either were playing with me or actually think I am a moose! Well I make up a story in my head to cover me for sounding like an idiot and I make a couple calls and then slip into the woods with to meet the joker. I figure if some clown thought I was a moose I would feel good about my calling since at least I fooled something! If they were messing with me I would just tell them that I thought they were my cousin since I was "supposed to meet him' which is a pretty good lie as all are if they have a hint of truth in them. Well as you can imagine the joker with the poor moose imitation that has been playing with me for several minutes is shocked when I poke my head into the bushes and he sees that I am a person, so shocked in fact that him and his 1000lb buddy take off at a galop away from me! Yep you guessed it the guys messing with me were 2 bulls and I had my rifle on my shoulder no it wasn't "shouldered" it was on a sling OVER my shoulder. Well the small bull was likely a spike of fork horn but we were both so shocked seeing each other at 20' that I didn't count points and he wasted no time showing me his hindquarters! I never saw the antlers on the other moose but I think he was considerably larger, likely sub-legal at least that is what I am telling myself. I did get them to pause briefly with a cow call but I never got a decent look at their headgear.
    I know you hear it all the time but allwayse remember if you are in the woods you are hunting! When you forget that you will miss a golden opportunity!
    The good news is that my call worked in late August in an area that is extremely high preasure and overcalled so maybe I am better than I thought, at least that is something to tell myself as I hit the bed with the picture of that bulls hiney burned into my mind...
    Good Hunting!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Talking love thunder and bulllllll!!!

Funny you bring up that DVD. I sat with my 10 yr old last night watching the same thing... and helping her practice the calls... like you i HAD never heard any moose sounds from a moose... until about 3 years ago..When a cow we jumped at 30 yards looked over her shoulder and let out this god awful sound..to the little bull behind her. the 2 kids with me about soiled them selves......last year we had 17 Cows and 5 bulls in the brush around us... let me tell ya those cows make ALL KINDS of sounds... squeaks, moans, bellows, meows....and i actually had a nice bull grunting to me and another the next morning while i visited the out house....i learned to take my gun to the potty with me...THe kids are great at calling.... way better so it should be fun this season....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Typically this is a little bit early for allot of activity with the call but the rut appears to be more active a little earlier this year.

I called in a 40 inch two by two brow with a cow last week using a cow call really early in the morning. I stopped another cow and bull in the same class that were spooked and on a dead run, after stopping they hung around for a few minutes.

Good job and keep it up! Lets see some pics of that little forkie on the ground!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Great story!

Thanks for sharing this! It's proof that anyone can call moose! The hardest part is not effective calling at all, but sticking with it and believing that it works.

Good luck on the rest of your season-

Great story!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Yes it does work

I took my first moose the last day of a very warm season. But to get him to come down out of the hills, I called every morning and evening too and from the stand. A couple of days before I saw him, I heard him thrashing in the thick brush as I was making my daily trips but never got a look until that last morning when he finally stepped out behind a smaller bull. Just take it easy on the vocals early in the season, since a more natural activity will be rubbing and scraping the velvet off the antlers. Don't be afraid to "chop wood" and call as loud as you can. They may take a couple of days to come to you if they are already hooked up. Good luck.

Default BAck at it last night

Well hit the moose grounds again last night put a bunch more miles on the boot leather and spoted a couple bulls that I havn't seen in the area. Nothing legal but still fun to play with. Saw a group of 3-4, either think it was 2 bulls and 1-2 cows but we never got a good look at bull # 2 as he ran as soon as we entered the field. It was about 945 and getting dark fast. I initially spooked the cow who seemed to have the larger bulls attention and they took off at a run. I let out a long (30-40sec) cow call to see what the effect would be as they dissapeared into the woods at the far side of the clearing. My cuz sarcastically whispers to me "man do you think that is long enough" just then the bull comes plodding back into the clearing to about 40yds in front of us. I looked over and whispered back, "I'd say it was just about perfect" . My cousin and I split up at that point and he followed after the bull that ran as we emerged from the woods, while I hung out on the edge of the field calling to the remaining bull. I was hoping that the other bull would circle around and come back into the field but he gave my cousin the slip and never reemerged. Finally the light got so dim about 1030 that I new there was no way I was going to be able to count brow tines even with the zeiss rifle scope and Minox Binos. So we loaded up and called it a night. So far I have seen bulls every time out in this spot and have recognized about 8 different ones for sure, last night were 2 I hadn't seen previously. I did try and take a picture of one that we bumped out of a field. You can't see the antlers but it has 1 brow tine on each side. I am aout 150 yards away using a little samsung digital camera with a little help from a well known German company

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default young bull

last night we spotted a young 2x2 tine bull in Fairbanks.. he was eating someones tree in their yard... we sat in the van, and called him out of the yard with soft bull grunts and kept him there with a cow call when ever he decided to turn.. he was fully OUT Of velvet.. and appeared to have been so at least a week. the heavy frost we've been having has them really on the move. i would love to add a photo.. but the current navigation problems are making that difficult. he could plainly tell were were not a moose but he was very reluctant to leave while i called.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Might be an earlier rut this year. I called in four moose, two cows and two bulls in one group on opening day. The bulls were about 36 and 45 inch with not enough brow tines. One bull walked right under my stand. I could literally have spit on him. No camera....

I was surprised they responded so early in the season.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com