Thread: Bow Tuning Problem

Default Bow Tuning Problem

The bow shoots great. But when paper tuned it is throwing the arrow high. Down range at 20 yds the arrow looks good, hitting and penetrating straight. Little adjustments do nothing. Radical adjustments made it worse. But nothing so far had cured it. I have a quick tune rest. The thinking is now that I might just need to get a new rest. But just wondering what you guys might think. Plus the thinking is that arrows just have to much flex and won't be able to get tuned perfectly anyways. Oh shooting victory 350's. They are the same length and have the same tips as my old arrow. They are even the exact weight.

So what to do next? Have not tried the broad heads yet, went with Sonic Heads 100 grn 7/8 cutting diameter.

what is your draw weight, draw length, arrow length, and bow make/model?

Also, what is the spine of the arrow?

I can put into The Archery Program and see if it will yield any clues.

How close are you doing the paper tune?

Is the tail high?

What distances are you doing the paper tune?

Default umm

draw weight is 59, I think my draw weight is 29. Not sure on arrow length, bow is Parker Pheonix 34. I will go and measure the arrows.

Yes tail is high, about 1-2 from paper. Put paper out to 10' or so and way worse.

Default arrows

I guess the spline is 350? They are 29 1/4 and 30" with the nock and no tip.

Default tuning your bow

I ran your numbers through The Archery Program.
    I assumed you are using 100gr tips, and draw length 29" and put 58lbs draw weight.

Based upon this, you arrow appears to be properly spine. The spine for your arrow is 0.35.

I have a book I use to help me, "Bowhunter's Guide To Accurate Shooting" by Lon E. Lauber. I bought it from Barnes and Noble in Fairbanks for about $20.

With your tail high indication, your tear pattern should approimately look like a Y, with the vertical portion longer.

To correct, it suggests lowering the nocking point. However, you made slight adjustments, with no effect, but you made radical adjustment to make it worse.

The Book suggests clearance may be a problem. Assuming the arrow spine isn't a problem, which I don't think is the problem, it suggested doing a powder test on the fletchings. Spray it down with foot powder, show the arrow, and examine the powder for any sign of fletching hitting something. What kind of rest are you using?

Another thing I would do, is to paper tune out to 20-25 feet. I do not paper tune at a a close distance. There is too much going on with the arrow, right after the release.

After this, and you can't figure it out, I would take the bow into the shop and have somebody take a look at it.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Default You are correct BigDaddy

It was the knocking point, quick and simple fix.

No problems, and glad the fix was simple. I got my Hell Raiser broadheads yesterday, and shot them today. ****, they shoot better that field points. No adjustments needed.