Thread: Mud motors

Default Mud motors

What are the pros and cons of longtail mud motors vs. surface drive motors?

Long tails dont go as fast plus the are more harder to turn. The surface drive motors are like the common outboard motor turns easy and some are very fast. Surface drive cost more. Right now you can get a long tail for prettty cheap if you shop around.

Default "death spiral"...great name for a band

That sounds about right skybust...I've also read something about the "death spiral". Apparently when making very sharp turns under moderate to high power in a narrowish boat, the longtails will make things very interesting very quickly...probably similar to doing the same thing with a regular outboard, but more pronounced. Don't really know though, neither seen nor experienced it, yet. I'm currently rebuilding a rotax 380 to bolt onto a longtail frame kit (make yet to be determined). I figure 30+ hp and not as much weight as the big 4-stroke motors...now to find a hull...

Hey Bethell,

You may want to look at the amount of torque that all of the common mud motors put out. They are far and above any two stroke of equal HP. I have pondered doing what you are doing, but hit a dead end with correct motor selection. The main problem is that you need a lot of torque to power the mud motor properly. Thought about a street bike motor being geared down quite a bit. Any way just some stuff to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_65_65 View Post
    Hey Bethell,

You may want to look at the amount of torque that all of the common mud motors put out. They are far and above any two stroke of equal HP. I have pondered doing what you are doing, but hit a dead end with correct motor selection. The main problem is that you need a lot of torque to power the mud motor properly. Thought about a street bike motor being geared down quite a bit. Any way just some stuff to think about.

Sure, and thanks, but...
    a 4-stroke (w/elec start) of approximate equal weight has roughly half the hp's as the rotax 380 (admitedly not sure about the torque)

boat motors (outboards) have been 2-stroke from their inception and for the majority of their existance

none of the 4-strokes offered as long-tail / surface-drive powerheads were ever really intended to be performance oriented. Dependable? absolutely bullet-proof...

As to your motorcycle idea...I think it was Beavertail used to offer a Harley v-twin as a powerhead...the "phantom", I think...

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Talking Go-Devils

I have driven a 9hp Go-Devil Longtail for a year now. It is incredible and I absolutely love it, just a little underhorsepowered for my 16x48 Jon Boat. I am saving the dollars now for the 35hp surface drive next spring as I absolutely love them.

To very briefly and somewhat incompletely answer your question:

Big pro of the surface drive is much easier to drive (it stays in the water by itself much easier than the long tails) also they are faster.

Big Con (not really all that big) the surface drive cannot power you over logs in the same way a longtail can.

My analogy is that the surface drive is the 4x4 high of boat engines, while the longtail is 4x4 low - not as fast, more work to drive, but virtually unstoppable!

Talk to godevilalaska here on the forums, he sells the Go-Devils here in fairbanks and can tell you more about them than I will ever know. He is a GREAT person to work with and he will tell you what you can honestly expect and will tell you if he does not think the motor is what you want. He wants you to be satisfied with your purchase, definitely not out to sell you on some hype.

Some links for you:

Manufactures' site:
    http://godevil.com/

Godevilalaska's site:
    http://home.gci.net/~godevilalaska/

Thumbs up Surface Drive Mud Motors

Ok so here is the deal, I started out running a a long tail Mud Buddy 13 horse on a 14 x 36 Jon. This motor was Mudd Buddy's first concept motor for the Hyperdrive. It had a Honda with a gear reduction of 2:1 and a larger prop. This motor performed like a 16 hrs regular long tail that was direct drive. I then bought a 16x48 Jon with a 16 hrs Go Devil long shaft. I loved the boat and the motor was great with a Tiger prop on it which would push me around 13 or 14 mph with gear. I then and currently use a 23 hrs Hyperdrive Mudd Buddy with a 12 inch Tiger prop which is an upgrade from the 11 inch that it normaly runs. Myself and gear on flat static water will go 21 mph. I love this motor and have over 300 hours on it. Other than air boats, nothing else will beat where I am taking this thing! I fill a 13 gal gas tank and get about 3 full day hunting trips out of it if not more! Its just a lawn mower engine on a boat! I am at the Knik river most days during the season and would be more than willing to let people take a test drive. There is a local dealer in Peters Creek which is Alaska Backwater 688-4515. These motors are almost the same as Go Devel's and they drive, perform the same as far as I am concerned. The only other motor that I know of is a Pro Drive, which has the shortest shaft out of all and I am sure will out perform the others. The only problem is that they are much more expensive.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Stay away from the Prodrives. I've had nothing but frustration with both of the 36 hp models I've had. After they got about 200 hours on them they just went downhill. Maybe I just am not being nice enough to them.

Currently dealing with a leaking crankshaft seal. I've replaced it twice and it starts to leak again after minimal running time. It only leaks when there is a load on the motor (ie running at higher rpm in gear in the water). I'm getting frustrated. Any ideas out there?

It is a Briggs problem and not a Pro-Drive problem.

What kind of issues have you had?????
    Over 450 hrs and never as much as a blip besides a wear and tear issue.

I have the 32 Prodrive well over 200 hours and it runs great. And trust me I dont baby it. I had the 27 prodrive and didnt care for the kohler engine it was a pain to keep running in the cold. But I have no problems with my 32 Prodrive.

Default crank seal failures

Baird. make sure the crank case is getting vented.crank case pressure blows oil out crank seals. more so during freezing temps , crankcase and exhaust moisture some times freezes in vent tubes.

Thanks I'll look into that......

Default Muid buddy RPM

Does anyone know the max RPM for the HD Vanguard 35HP mud buddy. My brother has one that tops out at 3010 RPM's and it seems alittle underpowered.

Default Vanguard RPM

Go to the Mudd Buddy website and it will have info on there on how to adjust the rpms. With the motor out of the water, it should not run more than about 4150 rpm otherwise you will get valve float above that. Also mudmotortalk.com has a huge amount of info. I am running a 23 Hyper with a 12 inch prop and my rpms in the water are about 3750. All you have to do is bend the govenor spring tab on your throttle linkage to bring up the rpms.

I need a good Mud motor; Hit me up if you are selling one!

Default 27hp pro drive

I have a 27hp pro drive I am willing to sell I am in Delta junction give me a @ 590-4006 if interested