Thread: Marine Head

Default Marine Head

I am looking at a new boat. The problem is it does not have a head in it and the wife says no way. So how much work is it to install a head in a boat, and is this something I can do myself or hire it out. It is a 26' Hewes Alaskan.
    Thanks

Default Marine head

I do not think there is any black magic to putting one in , they come with instructions. Is there a place on your boat that you can cive up a two foot X two foot spot? If you use a holding tank you need some space below deck. I would check out the Jabsco website and determine from that if it is something you want to take on. A porta potti is a lot less work.

I would not think it is that tough but don't forget you will need a holding tank, if you get caught dumping somewhere your not suppose to be it is costly. If you look at the models they have at dewey's the toilet sets up about 10'' above the deck. That is where the holding tank is, i would think the closet would be the hardest to build. I have the built in head on my Hewes and it is nice to have. I do understand there is extra cost involved when looking at that option. We also use that closet to store gear when not on the water. Good luck.

P.S. when the wife is happy you will have less grief overall on the boat.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default Head

It's not hard at all. West Marine carries a plastic seat for a five gallon bucket, snap it on the bucket and tell the 'ol lady' "there you go". No problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    I do not think there is any black magic to putting one in , they come with instructions. Is there a place on your boat that you can cive up a two foot X two foot spot? If you use a holding tank you need some space below deck. I would check out the Jabsco website and determine from that if it is something you want to take on. A porta potti is a lot less work.
    Don't comment on plumbing, you're "just" an electrician
    No magic involved, geez

Keep in mind that this is going on a boat. The first thing to remember about boats is that eventually, everything will break, and when it does, how much trouble will it cause you?

Get a porta-potty or a bucket.

Just order it with the head up front. I did, and the cabin heater too. Now Momma comes on board the board two or three times a year - is happy, and I get to play the rest of the year!

I would guess the toughest part would be cutting the hole in the bottom of the boat! Not sure I could do that. If you have twins, just squat between the outboards and drop a deuce. The engines are warm, too. We used to do this all the time with the old searunner.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Had a porta potti in my Sea Sport for three years. Rule was if you used it you cleaned it. No one ever used it. I took it out this summer and have more room to store fishing gear.
    Bucket is way easier to use and clean.

Default Order it if you dare...

If you plan on taking women or kids, don't under estimate the need for a head. For a MAN boat, just hang ten, or go uptown with a nice seat on a bucket. Odd thing is, by law you can just dump the bucket overboard, but if you macerate it and pump it from a tank, there are distance from shore regulations that must be followed, as well as shut-off and lockable valve before overboard discharge to be USCG compliant.

I had a portable unit on the seasport. It was small and guess who got the most excellent job of emptying it, multiple times on muli-day cruises. So, I broke down and installed a simple manual head and holding tank. There was glass work, thru-hulls, and fighting the hoses, but it's a clean install. Here's a picture of the head, y-valve and macerator. This way I can pump out from the deckfill at the harbor, and the only thing below decks is the holding tank, so maintenance access is easy.

Now, what I did was create some more maintenance. 3-years after installation, I replaced the macerator pump impeller and rebuilt the seals in the manual flushing head after it would not pump down the nasties. It has been plugged a few times, and that is always interesting. Nothing will ruin a cruise faster than a broken head, so be prepared. Sometimes it stinks, but flushing it out well really helps.

Best installation that I've seen so far is a tank under the head so when you "flush" it just drops into the tank. Then there was a deckfill fitting to pump out the tank. The hidden part (not necessarily leagal) was a large valve that opened from the bottom of the tank through a hole in the hull. When on step, open the trap door and boom, empty holding tank. Not a single pump in the system. It seemed to pass inspection because the valve actuator on the bottom of the tank was hidden under an inspection plate.

Either ditch the wife, or install the head.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My porta pot in the Sea Sport is only used by women, and they rarely go so cleaning it is minimal. I can't imagine spending money on a 26 foot anything without a porta pot or built in head, seems strange if it doesn't come with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    My porta pot in the Sea Sport is only used by women, and they rarely go so cleaning it is minimal. I can't imagine spending money on a 26 foot anything without a porta pot or built in head, seems strange if it doesn't come with one.
    On my 24' I didn't want to give up the extra space required for a head closet. I looked into the porta pot but found a bucket in a bucket with a seat at Walmart. Outer bucket has a seat and a lid. Inside is a separate bucket with a handle. Use and dump. If going #2 add water before use. No chemicals needed and more comfortable that a 5 gallon bucket without a seat. When I got that my wife was much happier. It also counts as 2 bail buckets it ever needed.

I know of a couple of friends with a built in head with holding tank that never use it. They use a bucket as they don't want to deal with cleaning and pumping. They are envious of my bucket within a bucket. I think it boils down to what you are comfortable with or rather what you wife is willing to be comfortable with.