Thread: possesion of natural killed skull/horns

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default possesion of natural killed skull/horns

I have read the regs inside out again this year... as have often wondered with all the sealing requirements what is required ( if anything) when a winter killed or predator killed accidental.. etc.. animal is found say for sheep or musk ox ..... or others

is there any thing required to haul one home and clean it up? my daughter found a wolf skeleton out in the mine claims and in the past i have run across moose and caribou and once a sheep with about a 1/2 curl.. i never bothered with it but now the kids like to haul it home and work on to and take it to school but i dont want to break any laws by it....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I have read the regs inside out again this year... as have often wondered with all the sealing requirements what is required ( if anything) when a winter killed or predator killed accidental.. etc.. animal is found say for sheep or musk ox ..... or others

is there any thing required to haul one home and clean it up? my daughter found a wolf skeleton out in the mine claims and in the past i have run across moose and caribou and once a sheep with about a 1/2 curl.. i never bothered with it but now the kids like to haul it home and work on to and take it to school but i dont want to break any laws by it....
    Give F&G a call during the day, and talk to one of the folks involved in licensing. Make sure you get the name or the person, and the time of the call, or ever record the conversation (just in case).

Default No worries

Just take the critter into ADFG and have it sealed if it's a specie that requires it. It's pretty easy to tell an animal you killed from a winter kill. I've got several animals I've picked up over the years.

Default Careful....

If you find that skull in the any of Alaska's National Parks or Preserves you can't even touch it much less take it, you could be cited by National Park rangers. We've been warned by rangers at the station about touching any shed or naturally deceased horns or antlers.

On that note.... I knew a fella hunting the Wrangells who picked up what he thought was jade stone and showed it to another hunter...a park ranger literally appeared from behind a tree and warned them to put the rocks down and not to touch them again. He warned them that he could and would cite them. They were shocked at his sudded appearance and then disgusted at his admonisions.

I kid you not.

Shed hunting is a skill. No laws prohibit this hobby on state or BLM lands. However, the land managers discourage keeping sheds, and natural killed skulls, because many of the omnivores eat the bones for mineral content and the minerals eventually return to the soil. That said, there are several in the ADF&G offices used for decoration and conversation pieces.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Just take the critter into ADFG and have it sealed if it's a specie that requires it. It's pretty easy to tell an animal you killed from a winter kill. I've got several animals I've picked up over the years.

so the answer is ?? IT DOES NEED TO BE SEALED? if that specieas requireds it? i guess a call to F&G is in order ....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

So if you find a 3/4 curl natural killed ram you have to have that sealed?? I'd check with F&G and make sure that is correct.

Default I called Fairbanks F&G...

about this exact topic. I don't remember who I talked to, but they said if it was naturally killed, there is no sealing requirement. I specifically asked about sheep...

Default Winter kills

Have a bit of experiance here. A call to F&G is the right way to go for sure. I found a dead bison one winter and that is what I did. Caalled and asked. He just told me that if it looked like there was anything for him to investigate to let him know and otherwise feel free to salvage what I wanted. There was also a sublegal moose killed and left lay on the bison fields to rot with a really pretty rack. Again we called and asked permision and no problem. Just when we went back someone had beaten us to it on that one. Far as I know on winter kills it is OK to bring them out. My friend that does taxidermy does whenever he can for stuff to put in mounts. The one reason I would REALLY ask is an obivious case of wanton waiste by someone else. I would ask for a differant area but around here sheda and winter kills are AOK to bring home.