Thread: Penn 113H or 114H

Smile Penn 113H or 114H

My son is looking to buy two new halibut reels. He is undecided which size Penn he needs, the 113h or the 114h. Apparently he catches large skates sometimes which really stress the reel drags and the human back. Is the 114H overkill? Will the 113H usually do the job? Thanks!

I have fished with 113's quite a bit and have handled fish well over 100# with it. I personnely use a Penn 345. I like the level wind a bit better.

Default Penn Reels

I use two 113's and one 114. The larger one usually sits in the pole holder. 113 is plenty of reel for just about anything out there. Look on Ebay for some deals. That's where I got mine.

I have several 113H reels paired to daiwa interline rods. They have pulled in their fair share of skates and big butts. They are a great setup. I have a couple of 114's and they spend a lot of time in the garage. They are pretty heavy. Good, economical and durable choice.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default 114's

I like the 114's! I have never used the 113's but I can say I never had a problem with the 114's and xxheavy 5'6" daiwa interline rods. They have been put to the test and passed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use 114H's and think they are a little heavy, but chartering they don't wear out. A friend of mine used 113's for years and boated lots of big fish, I'd go with the 113's for personal use.

Thumbs up either one..........

Either one is a good choice. The average sport caught halibut in Southcentral is under 30 lbs. I think the main reason we use the heavy gear is not because of the size of the halibut, but because we are anchored and the tides, currents, water depth and the big weights and jigs we use are needed to reach the bottom where we usually catch halibut. Those Penns are tough and proven Reels. Newell makes some reels and they carry a 5 year warranty, anyone else have that? Their 500 series has a good drag, they are lighter then most for their size and you can get them with low gearing. We are fishing some Avets now with lighter rods and I drift fish when I can. They are light and expensive but this is the first year so I will see how they hold up. I doubt they will out last the 113 or 114 Penns.

I've used the 113 high speeds for years, and this summer gave the shimanon tld 20 and tld 20 two speed a go. I personally prefer the lever drag shimanos and for just a tad more $ would go with the tld 20 over the 113.

There are certainly times where a larger reel such as the 114 will come into it's own, but to wear yourself out with a heavy reel just isn't worth it.