Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bull moose down

Default Bull moose down

Well, my 8y old son shot his first bull moose. Just right for eating and gave plenty of it away to our elders, family, and friends! Memories will last forever. Not the biggest, and definitely not shot with the biggest calibre there is. And it took only one shot to boot, base of the head on the spine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Well, my 8y old son shot his first bull moose. Just right for eating and gave plenty of it away to our elders, family, and friends! Memories will last forever. Not the biggest, and definitely not shot with the biggest calibre there is. And it took only one shot to boot, base of the head on the spine.
    Let me be the first to congratulate your son. Job well done. Way to instill your traditions on to your son. My son shot his first caribou in Kotzebue the same way, with a shot to the top of the head, while crossing the river (Unit 23 where its legal to do so), easiest and cleanest way to do it. He ended up giving up his first to my friends Aunt, who was really grateful and mentioned to him how thankful she was and that it would bring good luck for all his future hunts. Anyways congrats again, will be taking my son out for his first black bear this weekend. Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

The smile on that young man's face says it all, congrats to the hunter!!!

Default Awesome

Congrats to you and your son, you should be very proud and I'm sure he is very happy!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Good job to the young man... i will be showing that photo to my 10 yr daughter.. as she is getting ready for her hunt opeinging day....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Great to see the kids involved. The smile sure does say it all. Looks like a short pack too. That is always a plus!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Talking great

That is a wonderfull way to start your child out. Great story thanks for sharing it with is.

ps: if you are adopting let me know as my luck has been not so good.

Thanks guys, we are all excited about his first moose. So much so for me that if felt like I was the one that shot it instead. My days are getting numbered on me being the one that puts moose meat on the table as both my boys are growing quick, 8 and 11, and both have provided for the family and elders.
    Those of you that receive the Bushmailer and Delta Discovery my boys are in the photograph for predator control.

Jeff P, not adopting at this moment, thanks anyways. Have a 1 year old daughter and another son due next month, so hands are tied(hopefully tubes soon) on raising more children now. I have a cousin that lives in Michigan also. She hasn't visited us in 24 years, hopefully soon.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

congrats thats so awesome.I'd like to get the boys out myself.

Just wondering what the regs say for your area and what the antlers would be considered, it isn't a spike or a fork and no where near 50in. and i don't think it can be considered 3 brow tines I'm just wondering i'm a newbe at this and trying to learn. none the less congrats to the boy if I only started at his age I would be a pro at this

Congratulations, Marv1!

Your son's smile is worth a million bucks!

DAve

Default Great job

The picture says it all!

Terry

Default congrats

to you and your son! Very nice! Surely a Kodak moment!

Default Regs

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Just wondering what the regs say for your area and what the antlers would be considered, it isn't a spike or a fork and no where near 50in. and i don't think it can be considered 3 brow tines I'm just wondering i'm a newbe at this and trying to learn. none the less congrats to the boy if I only started at his age I would be a pro at this
    Look in the book, if he's near Kotlik it's ANY antlered bull. Basically crush any bull moose that isn't a nubbin.

Default Unit 18

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Kotlik is GMU 18; one antlered bull is the regs; good eye though... your concern/comment is an indicator that you are endeavoring for the ethical side of hunting.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Dude AWESOME, I cant wait to get the kids out tearin it up. Not to mention I need packers LOL. Congrats to the hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Kotlik is GMU 18; one antlered bull is the regs; good eye though... your concern/comment is an indicator that you are endeavoring for the ethical side of hunting.
    Thanks back country I was just wondering what the regs said cause i'm in the learning process of the rules of the antlers that's why i asked what the regs were in his area before i asked about the antlers

Great job - the pictures tell the best story!

The pictures only tell part of the story.......... I would love to have seen the smile on dads face as well!! well done to all!

Congratulations to both of you; I have not seen a kid that happy in a very long time. You must be very pleased. Again, congratulations. J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast