Thread: Preserving Bear Hides in the field….

Default Preserving Bear Hides in the field….

What is the best way to keep a bear hide from spoiling if you’re not able to freeze it for a few days? What has worked for you? Thanks in advance for the help.

Salting it is the only way if you cannot keep it cool enough.

Flesh all the meat and as much as you can from the hide. Pull the skull,tail,and feet out. Turn the lips, ears, eyes and nose then salt. If you plan on mounting it you really need to turn everything before you salt the hide. It is very hard for your taxidermist to do it after the salt has dried the hide out. If your not conferable with doing all of this get with your taxidermist for tips and pick up the wilderness taxidermy DVD. Its advertised here on the site and is very detailed.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have never used salt on a hide. i stretch mine inside out from a bush or three. and allow the wind to blow dry it for starts, as i get as much flesh off as i can.. then i use BORAX... Terry over at black bear tax.. raised Cain with me as it was like stripping jerky off the hide but it held good and little to no shrinkage. all tell me i need salt withthe Borax, i just cant do it i have seen to many of my buddies hides shink... honestly don't mind paying the extra hourly rate for a nice trophy... i have three bears at the Taxi this year all are beauts....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This spring I used 25lbs of salt when we got to camp at midnight, then the next morning we fleshed it out ,did the paws, removed the skull, turned the ears and brushed off the salt and reapplied 25lbs more and again rubbed it in real good. Our Taxi. told us it was perfect when we got it to him. Two days total.

Talking you did good!

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    This spring I used 25lbs of salt when we got to camp at midnight, then the next morning we fleshed it out ,did the paws, removed the skull, turned the ears and brushed off the salt and reapplied 25lbs more and again rubbed it in real good. Our Taxi. told us it was perfect when we got it to him. Two days total.
    I'll ditto what your taxi told you. I personally wouldn't recommend borax without salt. I've used that combination before with good results, but hard to beat salt when done properly. Need to get the bacteria growing moisture out and set the hair. Proper fleshing and prepping (such as skinning head, turning ears, removing nose cartlidge, splitting lips and eye lids) is the way to go if one can't freeze it right away. I've seen bear hides slip hair in two hours with the right (or wrong) conditions. My experience with shrinkage seems to be more about quality tanning if the hide is properly cared for in the field...that said, poor field care can also contribute to shrinkage (like letting it dry out and, or not getting salt on it for a few days). Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Thanks for the info guys.

Default Bear hide preservation

Here it is, without all the details:

1. Flesh it

2. Salt it

3. Dry it

If you're a bit shaky on how / why to do the above, get with your taxidermist before you go afield.

That's it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Here it is, without all the details:

1. Flesh it

2. Salt it

3. Dry it

If you're a bit shaky on how / why to do the above, get with your taxidermist before you go afield.

That's it.

-Mike
    Thats the right way to go,no doubt

Default Heh-

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    Thats the right way to go,no doubt

Glad someone got it!

he he

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Im glad too that someone gave the correct advice Michael