Thread: Best Tides For DIPAC?

Default Best Tides For DIPAC?

Alright, I am tired of hearing the same thing from my buddies. Apparently I keep leaving DIPAC 15 minutes before all hell breaks loose and people start catching lots of silvers. Just wondering what part of the tide people are having the most luck catching fish down there? I have been out there at and just before high tide. Seems like the only folks having any luck then are the kids fishing illegally from the gangway.

I used too do real good both sides of high tide.

Default It depends

It depends on a lot of things . . . but . . .

Mid to higher tide on the flood is best.

I depends on whether you are blind snagging, spot-and-pitch snagging, or throwing/casting lures.

Different locations can be better on any given day. Every day is different.

I even have different weight trebs for how deep the water is.

Can't give away too many trade secrets now . . .

Blind snagging and casting lures. Haven't tried spot snagging.

Took a peek down at the beach after work today.

Tide was just about dead low at 4 or 5 feet.

They were doing pretty good!!!

Saw a purse seiner in today at high tide. Must be a few fish in if they are doing cost recovery.

Not to sound like an idiot or anything, but what's DIPAC and where is it?

Default Thanks Coho Slayer

Now I don't have to ask.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Ditto. I have no idea where the heck they are talking about
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I believe its a creek or fishing location in Juneau?

Default dipac

douglas island pink and chum; kind of a misnomer as the hatchery is on the mainland side of the channel now.also kings&silvers return there.
    public fishing is allowed&snagging in certain areas.
    kind of neat to see people getting off the city bus with fishing gear
    Last edited by icook4; 08-26-2008 at 20:02. Reason: add info

I'll probably be out there tomorrow morning around 5. Hopefully I'll have some luck out there. Have you seen anyone pull up any halibut from the dock? I snagged something big that stuck to the bottom a few days ago. It would move about 5-10ft and stop every few seconds. Could not get it to budge off the bottom to save my life. Ended up breaking my 50lb line. Folks that saw what happened figured it was a BIG halibut or a seal. Heard anything like that before?

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by icook4 View Post
    douglas island pink and chum; kind of a misnomer as the hatchery is on the mainland side of the channel now.also kings&silvers return there.
    public fishing is allowed&snagging in certain areas.
    kind of neat to see people getting off the city bus with fishing gear

I was guessing it was down in southeast. Sounds like you guys have alot of fun there and get some good fishes. If you find that monster butt share the pic. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I was guessing it was down in southeast. Sounds like you guys have alot of fun there and get some good fishes. If you find that monster butt share the pic. Have fun
    Would be sweet to see the looks on peoples faces walking to my car with a 100+lbs butt. My luck has been rotten lately so I think I am due for a change. I hooked into a monster king the other day at my secret hole. It jumped a few times and then took off like a freight train. Got about 150 yards out and threw my line off. The former AK fishing guide I was with estimated it to be about 40-50lbs. Since I lost him it's been all bad joo joo. Anyone know of a secret dance or something I can do to shake this luck?

My wife sings her fishy song on the kenai and it works for her. It does not work worth a dang for me though. Then again she is much prettier than I am too and Im sure that has something to do with it. (fish) Hmmmm bite this ugly guys hook, NOPE. Now look at the hottie on the end of this fly. Oh yea. That sums up my days on the kenai

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    My wife sings her fishy song on the kenai and it works for her. It does not work worth a dang for me though. Then again she is much prettier than I am too and Im sure that has something to do with it. (fish) Hmmmm bite this ugly guys hook, NOPE. Now look at the hottie on the end of this fly. Oh yea. That sums up my days on the kenai
    Ha....I have been fishing with a group of ugly guys since day one so that's not it. Hmm..