Thread: Bear Hunting Lake Eklutna Eagle River Nature Center

Default Bear Hunting Lake Eklutna Eagle River Nature Center

Went online and got all three. Two bear areas at the nature center and the moose for Lake Eklutna. Any advice on hunting these area? Any success on these tickets in the past with anyone? This will be my first time moose hunting in this area. Looks like it goes from the highway way up past the lake. I am planning on driving up and hunting around the lake. Heard there are a ton of black bears up in that area so need to be careful.

Eagle River Nature Center..only walked it once during spring season and udnerstand there are plenty of bears in and around that area as well. The ladies at the center were helpfull. Had to hike back a bit before you can hunt..or cross the river. Tons of sign along the trails..but did not see anything during the spring..I was thinking about following the river system and glassing the hillsides. Any ideas or PMs on informatin would be appreciated as I am short on time.

Thanks
    H

The Lake Eklutna moose hunt is a tough one, lots of private land along the road going up to the lake. I don't believe any moose were taken from there last year and I think maybe 2 the year before. Lots of black bears up there and plenty of brown bears too. I've seen some pretty big bears in there so be careful if you decide to hunt blackies with your bow. Don't know that much about the Eagle River trail so I can't help much in that regard.

I have been contemplating on hunting the same area for bears. Unsure where to start. DuckHunter01, if you don't have anyone to roam around those areas let me know. Maybe we can get together and work something out.

Guys,
    For Eklutna Lake bears head for the airstrip. Glass the slopes to your south.

Often wondered about that area myself, never seen any back there though. (Granted I dont' spend much time up there)

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default ER Bears

I hunted the ER nature center (past icicle creek) years past in the spring. The bears we located were up high, basically living like sheep. Most of the time we didnt think we had enough time to get into postion for shot and get out in time to be at work monday. You have to have some time, and put in some effort to get them. As far as bears down low, I have only seen a sow w/ cubs. I did pass up a shot guesstimated at 350 yds or so straight up off the trail. I was on my way out and didnt think I could get closer or recover the bear if I hit it. All in all I would hike in to the twin peaks/twin falls area and glass up high from the river bar. The following day I would spend getting up high in that same area. Once your up high glass, you will see some bears. Good luck.